Where to buy a REAL pattern 58 water bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

H2497

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2008
London / Herefordshire
One of the best bits of issue kit. The fact that you can today still be issued a bottle from the 1980s is testament to their strength. The bottles are impossible to destroy but I have had caps split but these are easily replaced. If you have a choice avoid the respirator compatible cap as (unless you want to use it with a respirator) its useless and the design is such that the cap detaches from the plastic keeper. I think most surplus ones would have the normal cap, but I don't know.

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
The goods were defective - the sale of goods act 1979 clearly states you are entitled to a refund if the goods are defective.
Absolutely - one of the statutory rights of the buyer.

Any reasonable person would consider a product labelled 'water bottle' to be capable of holding water - it's not up to the shop to decide whether or not they want to offer refunds. Also note that they can't fob you off to the manufacturer - you're entitled to a refund from the shop (although the manufacturer may offer you a refund anyway), if the shop don't like it then they can take it up with the manufacturer after giving you your money back!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
You really can't go wrong with a 58 pattern bottle .... had mine since I was around 18-19 yrs old and its been around the world with me and still going strong :D

Ed

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
You really can't go wrong with a 58 pattern bottle .... had mine since I was around 18-19 yrs old and its been around the world with me and still going strong :D

Ed
You can go very wrong with anything made by Webtex though!

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Well according to the girl at the surplus store, they "don't offer refunds" :(

I was able to exchange my leaky bottle for some cheap mess tins though. Hard to go wrong with those.

I don't think it was a proper surplus store. It was one of those ones that sell lots of things that look like surplus, but are actually cheap imports.

Perhaps the fact that it was situated right next to the "glass ornaments that look suspiciously like bongs but are purely for decorative purposes... honest" shop should have given me a clue....

They have to offer a refund if there is a manufacturing fault by law, I worked in retail management for the last 18 years and even if they dont have a policy for offering refunds on goods purchased (which they are allowed to do ) they have to offer a refund on a product that was purchased from them which was faulty

Last edited:

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Endicutts sell the real deal 58 osprey ones from 2.95 up to about a tenner from grade one to new never issued
Just got some new kit from Kevin real nice helpfull chap to deal with gave me a a lot of help getting what I wanted and only took three days to get to will be ordering from him again in the future well happy with the service

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
They have to offer a refund if there is a manufacturing fault by law, I worked in retail management for the last 18 years and even if they dont have a policy for offering refunds on goods purchased (which they are allowed to do ) they have to offer a refund on a product that was purchased from them which was faulty
Strictly speaking, I don`t think the bottle was faulty. I think it was performing in exactly the way it was intended to.

That is, it looked like a real pattern 58 in the shop, persuaded me to buy it, but it didn't cost them nearly as much to make because they didn't trouble themselves with things like it actually working or anything.

Basically what I am saying is I think I was victim of an elaborate, black plastic water-bottle shaped con perpetrated by the fake army surplus store in league with that well known purveyor of imitation surplus, Web-Tex. The margin for profit in such a scheme is reliant on most of the people you ripped off not bothering to complain.

Refusing refunds to people like myself who do complain was just another self-protection mechanism built into the con. I even had to persuade them to give me an exchange in lieu of a refund - their preferred alternative would have been for me to go away.

Last edited:

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hope someone else may be able to comment - I have a bottle, clearly marked 'Osprey' which now leaks - and that after very little usage.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Best Wishes
David

Last edited:

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I have half a dozen Osprey ones never had one leak yet the oldest is a 1990 have you nicked the o ring in the lid ? That may causes leak

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hope someone else may be able to comment - I have a bottle, clearly marked 'Osprey' which now leaks - and that after very little usage.

Antone else have a similar problem?

Best Wishes
David

where did you get it from, what type lid does it have does it say ospray on the lid too, or is a CBRN type( flat top and the plug pulls out so you can connect it to the drinking straw of a respirator)

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
where did you get it from, what type lid does it have does it say ospray on the lid too, or is a CBRN type( flat top and the plug pulls out so you can connect it to the drinking straw of a respirator)

It doesn't have a flat top but rather a screw-on lid. I can't recall whether the name is on the lid as well. I'll check later.

Best Wishes
David

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
All Osprey bottles have a very thick and solid red rubber seal in the lid. The fakes don't. They all have white, black or green ones.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE