Where to buy a REAL pattern 58 water bottle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I popped into my local surplus store and asked for a British Army water bottle. I came away with something that looked very much like a real pattern 58 water bottle, albeit obviously unissued.

However when I filled it up to use it I found that if this is what genuine Army issue looks like, the British army wouldn't win many wars. It leaks like the dickens from the cap. No matter how I adjusted the gasket I was unable to stop this.

I intend to take it back tomorrow for a refund.

I have 2 questions:

1, Would partially filling this bottle so I can clearly illustrate why I want a refund be overkill?

2, Where can I get one of the bottles the army actually issues?

Most websites that claim to have them list them as out of stock. Many others claim to have genuine NATO issue but they don't look quite right. It seems like there is a real minefield of con-merchants out there.

Sounds daft, but I'm quite upset about this. I was really excited to have a new water bottle and I was looking forward to using it.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Thanks for the replies guys. I went with the Ray Mears one.

Its reassuring to be able to hear from folk who have actually bought one (that worked!) before spending money myself.

Now, here's hoping I can get a refund for my Army Themed Colander ;)

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I'm so glad its not just me thats had the problem of leaks. I've had 3 bottles now (all fakes it would seem) and each one has leaked, ended up getting a USGI canteen instead, but am tempted to get a genuine one now.

Harry The Camper

Tenderfoot
Sep 22, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
www.yahoo.com
I'm so glad its not just me thats had the problem of leaks. I've had 3 bottles now (all fakes it would seem) and each one has leaked, ended up getting a USGI canteen instead, but am tempted to get a genuine one now.

+1, I am a patriotic Brit, but the current bottle doesn't seem up to much!

The USGI canteen might be leak proof, but Nalgene make a great 100% leak-proof, taste free, transparent bottle. Very good quality!

http://store.nalgene.com/Oasis-p/oasis.htm

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I could be wrong Harry, but from what I've heard the real bottles never leak. Leaking is meant to be the telltale sign of the cheap Chinese copies flooding the market.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Well according to the girl at the surplus store, they "don't offer refunds" :(

I was able to exchange my leaky bottle for some cheap mess tins though. Hard to go wrong with those.

I don't think it was a proper surplus store. It was one of those ones that sell lots of things that look like surplus, but are actually cheap imports.

Perhaps the fact that it was situated right next to the "glass ornaments that look suspiciously like bongs but are purely for decorative purposes... honest" shop should have given me a clue....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire

I was able to exchange my leaky bottle for some cheap mess tins though. Hard to go wrong with those.

I don't think it was a proper surplus store. It was one of those ones that sell lots of things that look like surplus, but are actually cheap imports.

Perhaps the fact that it was situated right next to the "glass ornaments that look suspiciously like bongs but are purely for decorative purposes... honest" shop should have given me a clue....

You should have filled the water bottle, then held it upside down over the counter/till/computer whilst querying "fitness for purpose"!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

The goods were defective - the sale of goods act 1979 clearly states you are entitled to a refund if the goods are defective.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Endicotts sell the 'real thing', as well as spare tops, etc . They point out
Note: Over the years several manufactures have produced these Bottles. We use "Osprey" within our descriptions as they are the most well known.

They also sell the Dutch 58 pattern, which are very similar, but a bit slimmer (and cheaper). The Dutch 44 mug is stainless steel, so you can use it a bit like a Crusader cup.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Endicutts sell the real deal 58 osprey ones from 2.95 up to about a tenner from grade one to new never issued

Bongo

Sep 28, 2011
Worcestershire
+1, I am a patriotic Brit, but the current bottle doesn't seem up to much!

The USGI canteen might be leak proof, but Nalgene make a great 100% leak-proof, taste free, transparent bottle. Very good quality!

http://store.nalgene.com/Oasis-p/oasis.htm

I'll second that mine have been through some really harsh expeditions and never let me down. only ever seen one break and thats after 10 years of daily use!

Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE