Mess Tins/Kits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does anyone know why there are so many different shapes of millitary mess tins?

the ones i have seen so far:
British - rectangle
Swedish/German/Russian (and maybe a few more) - deep narrow oval
US - wide oval
Czech - circle

then there are the 'civvy' types, which again are a different shape, such as the Crusader mess tin - and some that are non stick and others that come with lids!

there are probably other shapes too.

anyway, as they are all designed for cooking in/eating out of, is one shape 'better' than the others?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
The British and US messtins have remained unchanged since worldwar 2(the us type was in use in ww1...)A case of if it aint broke dont fix it!Although i dont think the us one was used to cook on?..Im not familiar with the other types.
As for whats better?Matter of personal choice i guess.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I imagine the different shaped tins are all to do with fitting in different styles of webbing and pouches.
Round tins are easier to clean (no corners), whilst squarer ones are easy to eat from (corner the food in the..er...corners).
I tend to cook in either a standard frying pan or Zebra billy and either eat straight from the cooking vessel (if on my own) or from a wooden bowl if with others (cos I'm dead posh and polite).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lots to do with the food the different armies eat, for instance the Germans a lot of offal hence the kidney shaped mess tins for the offal to fit in, the brits like three square meals a day and so hence the squarer shape of our mess tins.

If the OP's question "is one shape 'better' than the others? " serious then I suggest he or she has too much time on their hands:(

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I imagine the different shaped tins are all to do with fitting in different styles of webbing and pouches.

That would make a great deal of sense :)

Strange isn't it that it is considered ok to eat directly from a mess tin used for cooking, but eating from a billy attracts comments?

And you never eat directly from a saucepan used in the kitchen at home either!

Lots to do with the food the different armies eat, for instance the Germans a lot of offal hence the kidney shaped mess tins for the offal to fit in, the brits like three square meals a day and so hence the squarer shape of our mess tins.

Square meals in square tins, offal in Kidney shaped tins - I like it, great answer :)

If the OP's question "is one shape 'better' than the others? " serious then I suggest he or she has too much time on their hands:(

I guess that sums up today so far for me :)

Thank you everyone for your replies, it was just something that struck me earlier today that something as 'simple' as a mess tin has so many different shapes!

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
:lmao:

:lmao::rolleyes:;)

lol thats offaly funny ! lol

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
another thought just struck me - maybe it has something to do with the cooker?? as in the squarer British ones fit on a hexi burner better, and the oval shape better on a Trangia type burner??

Having said that, I guess one was designed with the other in mind?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

perhaps he means in use?

personally I've not used German or American mess tins so I can't comment. - I think a lot of the design has to do with the environment they will be used in? maybe??

British mess tins along with the hexi stove work pretty well but I don't really like them very much for general camping out. - but if long journeys are planned then they pack small and are light.

I bought a Swedish trangia set last year - these are great bits of kit. - very robust and adaptable. the deeper pan is great for stews and such like - the lid makes a good cup and fits on the larger pot much easily. - much easier than British mess tins.
they come with a wind-shield and even a hook for (I assume) hanging over a fire.

atb
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE