Mess kit in stealth mode

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Since there has been many questions about the swedish mess kit and that people have had problems with the hook. Here is how the mess kit should be transported and there is no diffrence if there windshield is on it.

DSC00056_resize.jpg

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks for that Viking - it also solves "Great Mysteries of The Universe Number 46578; what is the indentation on the handle for?"

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
:)
Viking said:
Since there has been many questions about the swedish mess kit and that people have had problems with the hook. Here is how the mess kit should be transported and there is no diffrence if there windshield is on it.

Oooh Stainless steel, nice one Viking :)

I had to re-forge the buckle on my s/s set to make it work properly and I find the hook doesnt easily fit underneath anymore, I use a slightly different approach to keep it all together:

swede_1.jpg

swede_2.jpg

The strap stops it all rattling and prevents the messs kit falling out of the windshield, first time I picked one up I dropped the pans!

The Swedish kit is great if youre doing a combination of cooking on meths and fires, a free DIY addition to extend its flexibility is a westwind type stand when you want lighter weight and the option of round pots, also a nite light will slide underneath for preheating.

swede_3.jpg

swede_5.jpg

swede_4.jpg

This is dead easy to make if you have tin snips and a bit of sheet metal, this one is heavy gauge stainless and will support a 10L pot, not that it would ever heat 10L up! Not difficult to design yourself, need to be accurate though, if anyone is intersted I can send a template to someone with a scanner to make available online.

The performance of the standard kit is also improved with a foil windshield (Ive yet to find a stove that isnt helped significantly with a aluminium foil windshield!

Jason

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Viking - good one mate. I push the C hook through the catch - works for me!!

jason01 said:
:)

This is dead easy to make if you have tin snips and a bit of sheet metal, this one is heavy gauge stainless and will support a 10L pot, not that it would ever heat 10L up! Not difficult to design yourself, need to be accurate though, if anyone is intersted I can send a template to someone with a scanner to make available online.

The performance of the standard kit is also improved with a foil windshield (Ive yet to find a stove that isnt helped significantly with a aluminium foil windshield!

Jason
PM sent Jason

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
I hate to reopen an old thread, but it seems worse to open a new one for this...

What are the loops on the handle of the pan for?
Are they to stick a stick through?
The seem a bit small for that though...

Does any one have the directions for this thing? And, can they translate them?
I now have FOUR of them!!!
I bought 3 of them surplus, and thought that there was black GUNK stopping up the bottom holes in the burner...:confused:

I still liked it a lot though... So I ordered a brand new one off of E-Bay...

Got it in and it had the same GUNK....

Got out my flashlight and noticed that it was a WICK!!!:eek:
ARGH!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Sorry to go a little of subject here but I have been looking for something like this for a while and this looks like it will do perfectly.

Where can I get on one from? Looked around but none seem right.

Cheers

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Do you mean the Swedish messkit?

Surplus and adventure were doing them for £8.00 (some threads are a bit critical of this company - I've not had any problems with them so far). Also available on ebay. They weigh nearly a kilo so postage may be steep. Having said that, a Trangia burner alone is about £8.00 so getting a burner, fuel bottle and two mess tins for the same price is a good deal!

It is excellent kit - the only downsides are weight and the fact it isn't non-stick. It works well on an open fire when you run out of meths. The loops on the 'frying pan' handle are indeed for an improvised wooden extension.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE