Merrell shoes...any good ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I managed to pick up a pair of Merrell "trainer" type shoes for a very reasonable price, are they any good ? not heard much about Merrell but they seem well made.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My wife had some for ages until they fell apart after about 5 years. I'd be happy to buy more, especially for a "very reasonable price"

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Conversely, I had a pair of chameleons and couldn't get on with them.
They gave me horrific blisters on my heels due to the placement of the stitching.
I ended up giving them to a charity shop.
I prefer Salomon.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have found that they run tiny. I'm always a 9 but after ordering some online, found them to be too small.
I exchanged them for a 10, but having worn them for bit I find them too small too.

So as a size 9, I should have ordered an 11!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I've had several pairs of Merrels over the years and have been perfectly happy with all of them except for the Chameleon Wrap Slam - I walked through the vibram sole/heel in about 3 months of not too heavy walking. I think the air pocket design in the heel core was too close to the surface of the heel itself and it wore down awfully quickly to the extent it was trashed. The retailer replaced them with no quibbles as they *should* last longer than that. My experience didn't put me off Merrels, I hope this was just a one-off. However, from other experience the fit in Merrell shoes varies with style, so please do try on different pairs and styles to see what suits you best.

Jun 10, 2011
Reading, Berkshire
I got a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves a couple of months, very comfortable indeed and they weigh nothing. They'll be a bit lightweight when winter hits but I recommend them. BTW the online UK Merrell store stocks half sizes of this shoe - unlike the shops I have seen them in.

Simon.

May 30, 2010
Midlands
I love them, but like lots of other people I find they come up small. I'm a size 9, but I know I HAVE to get a size 10 with Merrel. That said, they are comfortable, and the gore-tex ones work a treat until you wear through the lining!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I love them, but like lots of other people I find they come up small. I'm a size 9, but I know I HAVE to get a size 10 with Merrel. That said, they are comfortable, and the gore-tex ones work a treat until you wear through the lining!

That's a good point - I don't think I would pay the extra for another pair of Goretex shoes, the waterproofing simply doesn't last as the lining wears down quite quickly (at least with my style of walking anyway!).

And I find I have to take a full size bigger with Merrells.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE