Merino or lambs wool Quandery

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

baggins

Full Member
Apr 20, 2005
1,565
302
51
Ludlow and in the wild
Hi Guys,
now the cooler weather is starting to approach (i hope), its time for me to get a new sweater. I've narrowed it down to 2, one is merino the other Lambs wool.
I have plenty of merino thermals and the new buy is replacing a lambs wool.
How does Merino compare with lambs wool on thicker jumpers. I know it is generally softer but is it as hard wearing and warm?
Any comments would be much appreciated.


Cheers
Baggins
 
How does Merino compare with lambs wool on thicker jumpers. I know it is generally softer but is it as hard wearing and warm?

If the two sweaters have the same thickness or loft, they also have the same insulation value. However, merino wool is less durable than courser wools due to a number of reasons. It is probably more important to compare how the different sweaters are knit as some knits give more thickness per unit of weight than some other type of knits.
 
Last edited:
During the 80's I often wore lambs wool m & s sweaters in the field and they worked well. Compare don't know but can't see much difference
 
so, as a rough guide, weight for weight, lambs wool would be warmer and more hard wearing then.

Wool from any sheep has the same fibre density, 1.32 g/cm3. On the other hand, angora wool fibre is approximately 10 % less dense and thus lighter than identical sweater made out of sheep wool. However, angora wool has even less tensile strength than merino fibres.
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE