Merino or lambs wool Quandery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Guys,
now the cooler weather is starting to approach (i hope), its time for me to get a new sweater. I've narrowed it down to 2, one is merino the other Lambs wool.
I have plenty of merino thermals and the new buy is replacing a lambs wool.
How does Merino compare with lambs wool on thicker jumpers. I know it is generally softer but is it as hard wearing and warm?
Any comments would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Baggins

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
How does Merino compare with lambs wool on thicker jumpers. I know it is generally softer but is it as hard wearing and warm?

If the two sweaters have the same thickness or loft, they also have the same insulation value. However, merino wool is less durable than courser wools due to a number of reasons. It is probably more important to compare how the different sweaters are knit as some knits give more thickness per unit of weight than some other type of knits.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
During the 80's I often wore lambs wool m & s sweaters in the field and they worked well. Compare don't know but can't see much difference

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
so, as a rough guide, weight for weight, lambs wool would be warmer and more hard wearing then.

Wool from any sheep has the same fibre density, 1.32 g/cm3. On the other hand, angora wool fibre is approximately 10 % less dense and thus lighter than identical sweater made out of sheep wool. However, angora wool has even less tensile strength than merino fibres.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE