Merino base layer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've been looking online for merino t shirt style base layers, would be handy at this time of year I think where you can get a bit warm at times if active but also pretty cold still in mornings and evenings.

Would be used for weekend camping trips where it's a bonus if it can be worn for a couple of days without a hygiene problem :)

Icebreakers were recommended, but being a fairly large chap I really need chest size 48 to 50", and all the ones I've found so far, including icebreaker, don't seem to go that large or even close !

Any suggestions welcome, oh and obviously needs to be available in OG or black :)

Cheers, Paul

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks mate, went through all the listed UK dealers for them and finally found (last but one!) one that had the t version and in XXL !

Now on it's way to me :)

Cheers, Paul

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Pop into your local charity shops and ask if they have any wool sweaters upstairs (won't be on show in the shop much this time of year), they can make a really good base layer for under a fiver.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
If you pass a Cotswold rock bottom store which are their outlets for last years models etc its always worth a look, I have a couple that were stupidly cheap, twenty quid for an icebreaker long sleeve zip neck IIRC.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Woolpower if you want the ultimate wool baselayer - Aldi if you want an excellent baselayer at a reasonable price.
This past winter I only needed the Aldi set!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The aldi ones are unlikely to fit as they only go to XL. I use Devold stuff as the XXL is very generous. Difficult to find in the UK but do come up on Ebay from time to time. Check out some of the bike shops too. One of my best base layers is a 190 weight merino DHB cycling top from Wiggle

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
could try Aclima, got a couple of their tops now and really rate them, much better quality than the ice breaker imo and on a par with wool power, imo.

What he said!

I've got
Some Aclima gear and its top quality stuff, very well made! :)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
When i say i have a couple of tops. what i mean is, my partner has a serious Aclima addiction! everything from the lightweight tops to the heavy wool shell and hot wool. my two, pale in comparison, lol!
the only drawback with any of these ullfrotte wool layers is making sure they are kept away from velcro, chews it up a treat!

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
the only drawback with any of these ullfrotte wool layers is making sure they are kept away from velcro, chews it up a treat!

Yuuup +1 I made my woolpower look 5years older the first time I wore it !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks mate, went through all the listed UK dealers for them and finally found (last but one!) one that had the t version and in XXL !

Now on it's way to me :)

Cheers, Paul

Didn't get the woolpower one in the end as Wednesday afternoon the supplier emailed to say the xxl was out of stock (said it was available on the site over the holiday weekend), and discontinued :(

Will need to check out some of the other suggestions....

Cheers, Paul

kelster

Mar 13, 2012
London

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hmm, haven't managed to find any Aclima or Devold black or olive green short sleeved T's in xxl though, will keep trying....!

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE