Merino base layer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Pop into your local charity shops and ask if they have any wool sweaters upstairs (won't be on show in the shop much this time of year), they can make a really good base layer for under a fiver.

I'll second that. I picked up a tatty olive green hand me down cashmere sweater off my dad. He was going to bin it as its a bit stained and has a few holes around the cuffs, but its an excellent light weight jumper for this time of year, no doubt if you keep your eyes peeled you will find something similar.

Last edited:

londonscrub

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2014
London
If you have a look at some online cycling retailers... Road bikers like merino and at this time if year they may be selling off winter gear. Bare in mind under-lycra fitting may be a bit tight so think about a size up! Xl and xxl stuff always hits the bargain bin. Planet x bikes have a bundle, zip neck short sleeve 200g, long sleeve 160g and tshirt 150g... All for £60 and sets you up for most top half needs!

B

Sent from my RM-941_eu_euro1_262 using Tapatalk

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Thanks mate, I got a bit dispirited with not being able to find what I wanted in UK so admit I gave up ! Ought to have another look properly....

Cheers, Paul

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Cotswalds outdoors have an icebreaker crew long sleeve top for £30 until midnight tonight- 40% off.

No connection etc.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I'm have a 50" chest and I get the Icebreaker base layers XXL on with no issues. I can't recommend them highly enough and have several pairs of midweight (260) and lightweight (200).

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
That's interesting thanks Ecoman, I was a bit concerned that their xxl at 48" would be a bit tight to start with and would shrink further when washed and be unusable which would be annoying at the price ! I really need to give it a go I think....

Cheers, Paul

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
I have washed mine on a standard 40 degree machine wash with my other t-shirts dozens of times and they haven't shrunk yet. I think you will be safe.

I never checked out the website size guide before buying my first one. I went into my local outdoor shop and picked up the biggest size they had, which was XXL, and tried it on. It was only when I was looking to see if they did a thicker base layer when I saw the website.

Oh and for the record the XXL boxers also fit over my fat backside and are comfy as hell. :lol:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
That's reassuring mate, so just taken the plunge and ordered an icebreaker everyday merino t from cotswold outdoor using the full member discount code, will take 7 to 10 days to arrive as not in their warehouse in black xxl so will be sourced from one of their stores. Almost went for the thinner lite version but thought this one might hold up better to washing and wearing, hopefully not too hot to wear though !

Thanks for everybodies help :)

Cheers, Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE