MemoryMap on the iPhone = QCTviewer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have been playing about with an App from the AppStore called QCT Viewer, which allows you to display maps from MemoryMap on the iPhone, so I thought I would share it with the members here. It costs a £5 and is a faily basic App which lists the maps that you have loaded on the iPhone & can work out which one (or more than one if you have different scales e.g. OS 25K & 50K). It uses the GPS on my iPhone 3G (& presumably on the 3GS as well) to locate where youy are on the map. It has speed & heading details, but those are not to clear as they are in red text on a grey background.

It does crash every once in a while, usually while loading but once it's all loaded & the GPS has locked then it's quite useable. It's better on OS 25K maps, rather than 50K ones, as you can zoom in enough for it to be useful. It was written by a guy who uses the Areonautical maps, which is why the zoom is a bit limited on low res maps. The map display rotates when you turn the phone round, which is cool in that iPhone sort of way, but the main menu does not rotate, which is OK as you dont see it most of the time.

As for maps, it loads the idividual file that you are currently on, which is not that big an area if you are on an OS25K map; it's good for walking but not so good if you use it in the car & cross onto the next map. You can stitch maps togeather in the PC version of MM, which is what I have done for the local maps I have. It did not like a file of 550Mb but is OK with those around 100Mb a piece, which is usable.

To get maps onto the iPhone there is a Java based server app that is OK but will stop/crash if the files are too big. For those who have broken out of jail,then you just find the apps folder in /private/var/mobile/applications/<long number here> then copy the maps into the Documents folder, using something like iPhone Browser.

I have no connection with the company etc.., am just a happy user. Apparently they have sorted any legal/copyright issues out, as the QCT files are apparently an open format even though the MemoryMap files are licensed.

All in all I am pretty happy with it as it does what I want, which is to show me where I am when I get lost in a wood. There are no waypoints, route planning etc.. like you get on the Windows Mobile MM but it still works fine.

As I said it's now on the Apple AppStore & the website is here:
http://millermilngavie.f2s.com/qctviewer/QCTViewer/QCTViewer_for_iPhone.html

I have included a picture the map display to give you an idea of what it looks like. It has not been out long & I have a feeling it may disapear of the App store, so it may be worth getting a copy soon if MM take offence to it.

Attachments

• qctviewer.jpg
    qctviewer.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 80

jack by the hedge

Tenderfoot
May 29, 2009
Leeds, W.yorks
Cheers for the post.

I'll be looking into that in the near future as a simple back up to a good old paper map.

Looks like lots of people had problems getting the maps on. How old were your maps? Did you have to hexedit any of them to shoehorn them in?

JBTH

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I think the problem getting the maps on was due to their size, well thats what the developer told me when I sent them an email. Their Java server app does not like big files. I transfered all mine directly using iPhone browser. I tried a big 550Mb one, which is OS50K of all the south of england but the iphone did not like it. I tried a smaller version of that map, at 80Mb and the iphone used it OK. I have several of the OS25K maps, which are 30Mb or so each, which work fine.

The maps are a few years old now, 2004 I think for most of them. They seem to work OK so far, although I have only tried a few of them so far. On my old Windows Mobile handset you had to load a patch for the MM app to run older maps but this is OK so far. Hope that helps, Dave

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Did you have to hexedit any of them to shoehorn them in?

No, you can merge maps togeather in the PC MemoryMap program, in the manage maps section; takes a bit of playing with but works. You can also save a section of a big map to another qct file by using the export view to mobile GPS; you zoom out & move the map around until you see all the area you want covered & then do an export to the handheld GPS, then just copy the file back to the PC & dump that on your iPhone. You need an old widows mobile handset for the 2nd method. PM me if you get stuck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE