Members List - an observation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was looking through the members list and noticed how many of us work in Hi Tech industrys like Aerospace, IT etc, suppose we all enjoy bushcraft so much because it gets us away from the modern world and back to basics.

Just an observation ;)

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Exactly the same reason I've been doing the living history/interpretation for so many years too, although... I still like some hi-tech toys like GPS, swedish fire strike, comfy sleeping bag, good boots, hot tub afterwards etc.

I think there's probably a large degree of getting away from a static desk environment too and going to a place substantially more real and less abstracted.

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I like the fact I'm not clock watching when I'm staying out, I can be there reading a book by the fire and suddenly notice its 2am, and it doesn't matter... no deadlines, no rushing, no things to do for other people .... Bliss :D

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
outdoorcode said:
I like the fact I'm not clock watching when I'm staying out, I can be there reading a book by the fire and suddenly notice its 2am, and it doesn't matter... no deadlines, no rushing, no things to do for other people .... Bliss :D

Sounds about right, nice to get away from all the stress.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I reckon it's coz Techie people spend plenty of time sat in front of a PC so have the opportunity to lark about on internet forums all the time....

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
ilovemybed said:
I reckon it's coz Techie people spend plenty of time sat in front of a PC so have the opportunity to lark about on internet forums all the time....

It's called research - essential to keep our skils up to date etc. :D
At least thats what I tell people!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
ilovemybed said:

I don't have time to do this, I just don't want to do what I should!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
ilovemybed has a very good point. And let's face it, no matter how many times we say or read "It's not the gear, it's how you apply your knowledge", we still lust after fancy knives, fancy hammocks, fancy sleeping bags, etc etc. It's the gadget-lover in us all.

Myself included, by the way :) But, like us all, I still love getting away from it all, away from people and the stresses of work.

Can't wait til holiday now (Scotland in September) :)

leon-1

ilovemybed said:

This is true, but it is also true that techie people are normally just sat waiting for someone to break things and between doing things like building and configuring test stations (depending on work), writing reports, doing research and fixing said broken test stations to a deadline they tend to be finding ways of getting around firewalls and the like :D

Any spare time that I got when I was working as a tech was spent building or fixing computers for friends or out doing bushcraft as an essential means of relaxation. :)

I love the outdoors, I love working with my hands, I like attention to fine detail and using my grey matter.

I also enjoy learning things and In bushcraft I can do all, but in a more relaxed atmosphere where the only pressure layed upon me is that which I lay upon myself (I don't have a host of managers telling me that we will be losing around £70,000 an hour and who have not an idea of the complexity of finding an intermittent fault).

I think that is the appeal to a lot of the techie types, either that or we just like going out and grubbing around in the undergrowth :D

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
leon-1 said:
This is true, but it is also true that techie people are normally just sat waiting for someone to break things and between doing things like building and configuring test stations (depending on work), writing reports, doing research and fixing said broken test stations to a deadline they tend to be finding ways of getting around firewalls and the like :D

Any spare time that I got when I was working as a tech was spent building or fixing computers for friends or out doing bushcraft as an essential means of relaxation. :)

I love the outdoors, I love working with my hands, I like attention to fine detail and using my grey matter.

I also enjoy learning things and In bushcraft I can do all, but in a more relaxed atmosphere where the only pressure layed upon me is that which I lay upon myself (I don't have a host of managers telling me that we will be losing around £70,000 an hour and who have not an idea of the complexity of finding an intermittent fault).

I think that is the appeal to a lot of the techie types, either that or we just like going out and grubbing around in the undergrowth :D

Maybe the said Managers should get out in the woods and chill out, it works wonders for me :D

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
maver said:
Was looking through the members list and noticed how many of us work in Hi Tech industrys like Aerospace, IT etc, suppose we all enjoy bushcraft so much because it gets us away from the modern world and back to

Works for me. Don't read Bambam's post about how he gave it all up to be a treesurgeon, lucky so-and-so.

Jim. Trapped in cyberspace

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’m getting depressed now! I’m doing this to avoid what I should be doing, because it’s so dull, and what’s more I commute 140m a day to do it!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
JimH said:
Works for me. Don't read Bambam's post about how he gave it all up to be a treesurgeon, lucky so-and-so.

Jim. Trapped in cyberspace

Tee hee hee.......who's a lucky boy then! :D Off to play with my chainsaw later, then maybe a nice walk in the woods for the afternoon.....ahhhh Bliss :p

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
AJB said:
Yep, it's all about getting the angle of your monitor right :D

When I worked in France we moved to a new office and all work halted for a whole week while my french co-workers arranged the desks so that nobody could see the other persons displays. :D

And yes, it is bliss to get away from the modern world now and then.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Rhapsody, if squeeze a bit of mathmatical or analytical programming into your degree and not only can you be a techie...but a geek at the same time :D

Good luck with your degree. Where are you studying it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE