Melting glass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Has anyone tried melting glass bottles? Not bushcraft related but some people have had a go at melting metal and I wondered if you could melt glass bottles down into a block of glass without having to spend a fortune on a large kiln.

Could this be done with a home made clay pit, charcoal and bellows or would I not be able to get the temperature hot enough?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
[sorry, I have no idea why this is all in italics. Can’t seem to fix it either...]

My missus has an Etsy shop for art glass - stained, leaded and fused. She sells slumped bottles as cheese/snack trays as one of her products. The bottles usually need around 800 centigrade to melt, and then to be slowly cooled over quite a long period - several hours - to avoid internal stresses that would just shatter the result. If you can get a fire to a suitable temperature, for long enough, you would get a puddle of molten glass, but beware any kind of rapid-ish cooling.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes, apparently rapidly cooled large glass objects can shatter almost explosively.

Google Prince Rupert Drops. They’re glass drops rapidly cooled so huge tensions are trapped in the glass. They explode dramatically if the tail of the drop is broken.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
My missus has an Etsy shop for art glass

I've seen the slumped bottles and quite like them.

I'm more thinking about converting a dozen or so scrap bottles into a large lump of glass. It doesn't have to be cast or pure so I was thinking of getting a fire up to temp and allowing the bottles to melt into a hole at the bottom, then cool gradually.

I've accidentally melted small amounts of glass, aluminium etc in a large bonfire but want to try something a bit more controlled.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm more thinking about converting a dozen or so scrap bottles into a large lump of glass. It doesn't have to be cast or pure so I was thinking of getting a fire up to temp and allowing the bottles to melt into a hole at the bottom, then cool gradually.

You may find that's very difficult to do as glass isn't all the same and have different contraction and expansion rates. Because of that you might end up with it cracking and at worst exploding apart as it cools.

It might be possible to stop that happening by melting the glass into a container and thoroughly mixing it all together together so it's one homogenous mass and the stresses will spread evenly throughout as it cools

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
We've melted glass in a campfire before. We just used a normal campfire and a hand pump used for blowing up inflatable beds and we were able to melt glass bottles pretty easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE