Melt and pour recommend please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Alreet. After reading up a bit on soap making recently. I'm gonna have a bash at making some of my own soap.i'll probably rope the young un in on this one. While the the process Of making soap from scratch seems an interesting one I think I'd like to get a batch done n see how I take too it/ throw a chunk of money at another hobby.from the the little I've read the easiest route into this is with a soap base called melt and pour. Their seems to be a few variations of this so a recommend would be handy. All advice,products and methods welcome as I know zilch about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like melt and pour vegetarian glycerine.
Under a tenner for a kilo delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/melt-and-pour-soap-base-glycerine-clear-/271769223016

There's a massive range out there; from SLS free to thickened to hold stuff like herbs properly mixed. From goat's milk to every colour under the sun. I aim to keep it simple and only add the extras that I like.

I melt it (carefully) in an old pyrex jug, in the microwave and pour into silicon moulds…..you can buy really cheap silicon cake moulds that do fine in the poundstores :)

M

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks toddy that make life a little easier.thinnk I'll grab some pine needles next time I'm out.i was gonna steep them in a little oil.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I make it from scratch. Its much cheaper than melt and pour. I use no special equipment...none. Its really very simple to make soap from scratch, there is a tutorial of mine on here somewhere, give it a go, there is near nothing to buy, I promise.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have done it both ways. Fine to make it from scratch if you know you'll use a batch of that particular soap, but I like variety. I like small quantities, and I like to do it quickly with no fuss or footering around.

One jug, one spoon and some moulds, and that's pretty much it for the melt and pour :D

Each to their own though, and British Red's tutorial is really clear and well presented.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have done it both ways. Fine to make it from scratch if you know you'll use a batch of that particular soap, but I like variety. I like small quantities, and I like to do it quickly with no fuss or footering around

M

My base recipe makes 2lb which is only 4 big bars or 6-8 small bars. I generally make five or six batches at a go, all different, which keeps us going for a few months.

The joy is you can ensure there is no palm oil or other environmentally ruinous fat base in there as there are with so many commercial soaps. Great to be able to make things like pure olive oil soap for people with skin conditions too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can buy pure melt and pour too though. Olive oil, palm free, non animal testing, no SLS, etc., etc.,
This way I can make a couple of bars at a time if I choose, I don't need to batch make. I can just slice a wee bit off the melt and pour, melt it carefully, add what I like, pour into the mould and it's ready to use when it's cold.

DIY is a skill worth learning, but I don't make my bread only from flour I've ground from seed that I've grown and harvested. I do at times, but not all the time….it's the same with soap :)

http://www.inoviainternational.co.uk/products/soap_bases/melt_and_pour.html

cheers,
M

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cold procss soaper here as well. Not nearly as frightening as it looks.

Lye from B&Q for £3 for a small bottle, plastic jugs etc cheap from shops.

I'll be honest that process does scare me slightly. Ha i'm at my best when physically shown how to do something.i can replicate easily..when left on my own with bubbling chemicals ugh

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'll be honest that process does scare me slightly. Ha i'm at my best when physically shown how to do something.i can replicate easily..when left on my own with bubbling chemicals ugh

Youtube is your friend. I'm the same with some things. prefer to watch and see it done first. Some really great and easily explained videos on youtube I'm sure you would manage. If not M&P is a good start.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Something else you can try is the medieval method of making soap balls. Take an unscented commercial soap and grate it. Add whatever herbs, scents etc you like and just enough water to enable you to squish the shreds back into balls. Let them dry for several weeks. There are recipes exactly like that in medieval and Elizabethan household receipt books.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE