Meet Goliath my latest axe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
A resent purchase axe head, I carved the haft yesterday, and one coat of linseed oil, plenty more coats to go.
The oak wood was from a skip find in 2005.
The grain is centred right in the middle of the haft, not intentional, just lucky, looks good close up.
The oak chair was a street find and is comfy, and the two elm trees in the background have Dutch elm disease, and I'm hoping to get a couple of pieces when they come down.
Small axe (David) is an Elwell and is going to be finished in the week.

Goliathaxe002.jpg

goliathgrain003.jpg

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Very nice! Was the oak hard to shape? Must have been near bullet proof being sat about for 6 years...

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
It was a bugger to shape, but having done a few hafts from the same batch of wood I knew what I was up against.
The head weighs 2.485 Kilos.
This time I left the haft much shorter than usual, coming in at 72 centimetres, hoping it will be a bit of an all rounder.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one. It's not so bad when you're expecting it. That's got to be a really solid axe you've got there, I'm sure you'll enjoy using it!

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
It was a bugger to shape, but having done a few hafts from the same batch of wood I new what I was up against.
The head weighs 2.485 Kilos.
This time I left the haft much shorter than usual, coming in at 72 centimetres, hoping it will be a bit of an all rounder.

A bit of an all rounder !!!! carve a spoon with it then !!!LOL

Ps nice work

Jason

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
That's a cracking looking axe there - mind you a 5.5 lb head (for those of us who think in old money) will be a beast to start swinging.

Cheers

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Thanks guys.
As to being a beast to start swinging. Well that's why I gave Goliath a shorter haft,it feels much better than a longer one that I made up last year
which was of similar weight.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have added another picture of the grain, I'm thinking that this wood could be good as a blade handle, being extremely hard as it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE