Medicine Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Medicine Survival

Hi Guys
I would like to start a thread about medicine survival. The thought is not to share theoretical knowledge; such stuff is easy to find in different books, but to share house cures that we have found out to be helpful through our own experience.

If you managed to operate an appendix in the bush, by all means share it with us, otherwise share rather the simple stuff that actually can make a big difference being out there in the woods.

My experience: Running nose and pain in the throat.
How I fix it:
I mix about one teaspoon table salt into one cup (200-250 ml) of luke warm water. Wait until the salt is well dissolved. I snort the salt water through my nose slowly and carefully and spit it out my mouth. Keep doing it until the cup is empty.

Important: Don’t take too much salt. The water should taste a bit salty but feel comfortable in the nose. Burning sensation means that your water is too salty. Too hot or cold water isn’t good either.

Review:
This cure has worked well for me since 20 years now and I hardly ever have a flue and I never have sinus infection any more. It even works as prevention when folks around you are sick. A lot of germs are hanging in the nose and the saltwater washes them out. If you have already the flue do it 3 times a day. It feels strange in the beginning but I am so used to it now that I don’t mind it at all.

My experience: Very strong and heavy throat infection, an infection where you actually would need some antibiotics.
How I fixed it: I took a leak into a cup and gargled the urine in my throat

Review: It needs some concentration to close down your other senses and only do the job without throwing up. After the first time it took only 5 min and the pain in the throat was gone. I needed to gargle three times a day for 2 days to get rid of the infection altogether. All in all it is a great help if you are stuck without antibiotics.

cheers
Abbe

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I had to delete a similar post at ETS recently. A well meaning individual is creating a website of such home remedies. Unfortunately, many of our countries are plagued by increasing litigation over simple common sense. Medicine is a landminefield!!!! Tony can post multiple disclaimers and warnings about bushcraft being potentially dangerous, as is suffocating in an overheated flat. but I haven't found any forums on 'couch potatocraft.' Anecdotal folk remedies may or may not work. If it isn't in the recognised literature with references and disclaimers, if your not an authority with a medical qualification DONT GO HERE. ( Gulping down 4 aspirins :shock: )

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Some interesting remedies there Abbe.

In one of my yoga books they describe washing your sinuses out with warm salted water and you can get a nose kettle that looks like a small watering can with a long thin spout that you put up the nostril to poor the solution up your nose.

Before people are repulsed by your urine remedy lets not forget that urine is in fact sterile when it first leaves the body and has many uses in emergency medicine. As well as many other uses.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I'm a viking, so I feel no pain. :wink: :rolmao: No seriously, as we all know, prevention is better than cure. So to avoid headache... drink lots of water. To prevent cuts... follow the safety rules (but even when following them, it can go nasty). To prevent hypothermia, don't fall in the water etc.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
there can be reasons why urine is not sterile when leaving the body

please lets try and keep tips to the sensible end of the scale

sorry to put you all off

Tant

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
An old Medicine man share with me something that, if one follows the Earths spirit, makes perfect sense.

"We can't heal our bodies with the Mothers medicines, unless we understand not only the physical properties of the medicine and how to prepare and use it, but also the spirit of the medicine."

Time has also taught me that a very possitive outlook in our healing, makes for a very possitive healing.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Garlic - I've recently had a nasty chest cold that was getting pretty uncomfortable. I won't take antibiotics unless my doc says I must ( she won't give them out unless you're at deaths door anyway, sensible woman.) so I chewed a clove of garlic every hour or so and breathed over the mush as I chewed it. Chest loosened after four or five hours and was better in two days. Okay so you smell of garlic, but there are worse things for your breath to smell of ( eh Abbe ;) )

george

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Tantalus said:
there can be reasons why urine is not sterile when leaving the body

please lets try and keep tips to the sensible end of the scale

sorry to put you all off

Tant

Hi Tant
the idea of the Thread is to share experienced knowledge of people who like to share medicine survival. If some of the stuff here are upsetting the taste of anyone, he simple can skip the Thread and don't need to participate.
Please don't try to lead the thread into another discussion. If you have to share some knowledge based on your experience great otherwise don't.

thanks
Abbe

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Abbe Osram said:
Hi Tant
the idea of the Thread is to share experienced knowledge of people who like to share medicine survival. If some of the stuff here are upsetting the taste of anyone, he simple can skip the Thread and don't need to participate.
Please don't try to lead the thread into another discussion. If you have to share some knowledge based on your experience great otherwise don't.

thanks
Abbe
yes i have knowledge that i wish to share

do the words urinary tract infection mean anything to you ?

i was trying to be nice about it :?:

and the bald assertion that urine is sterile when it leaves the body is humbug

Tant

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Tantalus said:
yes i have knowledge that i wish to share

do the words urinary tract infection mean anything to you ?

i was trying to be nice about it :?:

and the bald assertion that urine is sterile when it leaves the body is humbug

Tant

Tant please read the beginning of my Thread! What are you going to share here? That you had a urine infection? Ok, and what then? How did you heal yourself without a doctor?

cheers
Abbe

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Urine generaly isn't sterile ( it has some mycoplasma species in it for starters ) but the stuff living in it generaly doesn't like living elsewhere so you can use it for washing out wounds if you're out of other options ( like boiled water ). It's also apparently handy for jellyfish stings but I've never had an opportunity to dry this out ( never been stung by one ).

Goosegrass - aka cleavers stops bleeding fast, I've used it on myself. It stings like hell but does the job, apparently it can also be used to treat urinary tract infections when drunk as a tea. I crush the stems and press them onto cuts.

Nettles for pain relief - no really, when I put that billhook through my hand (which I did get proper medical advice on a day later when my arm looked like a large red balloon ) I used nettle stings around the wound to relieve the ache in the damaged joints, also handy for arthritis according to folk medicine.

Realgar

jakunen

Native
Realgar said:
Nettles for pain relief - no really, when I put that billhook through my hand (which I did get proper medical advice on a day later when my arm looked like a large red balloon ) I used nettle stings around the wound to relieve the ache in the damaged joints, also handy for arthritis according to folk medicine.

Realgar
They are also a 'cure' for hypothermia supposedly. You roll, naked, in a patch of them and the acid in the needles apparently acts to raise the body temperature and gets the blood flowing properly around the body, in a safe, slow manner. You must however ensure that any sensitive areas - eyes, genitals, are protected.

I've never tried it and hopefully won't ever need to but...I'm willing to proscribe it to a 'patient' before I try it myself.:wink:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
used urine often in greece for sea urchin "stings"

the spine tips are poisonous - not deadly , just sore- and break off in your feet

plastic sandals were my daily wear which kept me out of the worst of em

Tant

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Abbe and Tant.....you're both right in MY opinion.....if it works for Abbe to gargle with stuff then cool....if Tant's worried about infection...cool.

Maybe if you could heal the infection first with herbal medicine, then you could try Abbe's trick for clearing his sore throat!

I'd never have thought of doing what Abbe advises and probebly will never do it as I live in the UK and most of the places I go out to are within at very most a days hike from the nearest "Moss the Chemists".....however, if I was really on my own and couldn't get to help I might be tempted to try it if I know I didn't have a urinary infection but to be fair it'd have to be a pretty bad sore throat! lol
I've had bladder infections a couple of times and although it may be different for some, I KNEW like I've never known before that I had them.....so in that case I wouldn't go gargling it....

Common sence really.....

So...Abbe...how do you cure your piles? :nana:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
litle bits of garlic when sucked are sposed to have a disinfectant effect

and gargling with salt water should help clean up the throat too

sorry for being argumentative i was just worried that there could be unforseen consequences for unquestioningly following some of the suggestions

it is an interesting topic

:super: Thanks Abbe

Tant

jakunen

Native
Tantalus said:
litle bits of garlic when sucked are sposed to have a disinfectant effect/QUOTE]

Indeed it does. Garlic juice is said to be both anti-bacterial and anti-septic. HOWEVER I would not recommend the aplication of neat juice to burns of any kind or to cuts in senstive areas nor on those with sensitive skin as it is rather strong and can cause additional problems. Not to mention that fact that it hurts like damnation! (dabbled in homeopathy a few years ago and decided to try it out. I think I'd rather use iodine than raw garlic juice (unless it was elephant garlic), on a cut...)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
ChrisKavanaugh said:
I had to delete a similar post at ETS recently. A well meaning individual is creating a website of such home remedies. Unfortunately, many of our countries are plagued by increasing litigation over simple common sense. Medicine is a landminefield!!!! Tony can post multiple disclaimers and warnings about bushcraft being potentially dangerous, as is suffocating in an overheated flat. but I haven't found any forums on 'couch potatocraft.' Anecdotal folk remedies may or may not work. If it isn't in the recognised literature with references and disclaimers, if your not an authority with a medical qualification DONT GO HERE. ( Gulping down 4 aspirins :shock: )

If we followed that advice Chris MOST of the posts on this and other forums would not happen, not just medical ones given that they 'may' lead someone into injuring themselves etc. I am glad to read the opinion and experience of others and take it for what it is , which is part of the wider picture and helps me form my own considered opinion. I think most people would agree that both professional medical aid and alternatives, especially in a potential survival situation, have their place where appropriate and considering the individual situation.

'Alternative' medicines are a lot more widely accepted now in Europe. It does not mean they are better or worse than 'official' medicines rather what is important is the chance to read the thoughts and experiences of others so that we can make our own 'informed' decisions. Litigation should not be allowed to censor opinion.

In the same way I think it is important that Tant raises a concern in that way we can consider other aspects of the treatment.

To put this into perspective, it has also been suggested that urine can be used for jellyfish stings. Well, on no better informed programme than BBC's Blue Peter that is just what the presenter did! When he asked the other presenters to wee on his sting to relive the pain on film :eek:): One of the more memorable programmes and from memory it worked too :)

Thanks Abbe, I may not drink my own wee but I found the info very interesting :biggthump

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Blackcurrent juice in vinegar - great for colds, loads of Vitamin C and cuts through the phlegm.

Honey - 101 uses

spiders webs or puff ball spores on cuts stops the bleading.

Realgar- sharpen the billhook a bit more and you'll feel nothing next time you cut yourself. I didn't realise I had a 1 inch bone deep cut on my shin until it was pointed out, and it put a hole in my new combats.

S

Skippy

believe it or not Bee stings apparently have got a multitude of medicinal uses, can't remember them all, but, anyone interested in being stung to death to cure a cold can learn about it from the resident bee keeper at the Cobtree Hop Farm nr Maidstone. (he takes great pride in spending two hours telling you the best places to get stung (and sometimes gives a demo))

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Adding chewed Tobacco will help to draw the venom out from a bee sting. So will mud.

Honey is an excellent food source and has many medicinal values. Not the least of which is that bacteria can't live in honey. Placed on a burn, honey will also help to stop skin loss and scaring. It's gives needed energy or will help to relax.

Honey

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE