Medical evidence for ‘Birch Polypore’

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not a dig, reality. They want to do the best they can, ( does not everybody?) but the economic restrains prevent that.

My NHS dentist friends see on average 40-45 patients a day, and do not think for a second they are able to do the same job as somebody seeing 15!

You should know that NHS dentists retire years before a Private dentist in UK ( applies to med. docs too) with a nice index regulated pension, whereas a caregiver in the Private sector does not.

NHS is a Holy Cow for most Brits, but you should know what you get for your money, which you do not. Accept constructive criticism.

I think you know that if a person working within the system brings out the problems to the knowledge of the public, they get fired?

Money is wasted on management and not on the grassroot level.
In UK the average contribution per person is far higher than most countries in western Europe, yet you get less.
The Heroes are the doctors, nurses, dentists, assistants and all the other people working with patients.

You might get upset that a foreigner critisises the NHS, but remember, a huge % of the workforce are foreigners. Hundereds of Swedish dentists were and are yearly recruited, most last less than the contracted period.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Janne, there are five dentists in my local practice, and they still advertise that they are accepting new NHS patients, and incidentally, every one of those Dentists is British, as are all their technicians and admin staff.
That's not unusual, that's fairly normal in this part of the world.

My Dentist says she sees maybe thirty patients in a busy day. Most are just in for a quick check up, and children have much better oral health these days than they did in my youth. My sons have no fillings, no crowns, etc., etc., that's fairly common too round here.

I really doubt that any dentist complaining would get fired. Dentist's are self employed, or work for a practice under contract. The Practice management deal with the NHS bit of the equation.

Every single time the NHS is mentioned you have a down on it. I'm an NHS baby, and I have very very few complaints, and a great deal of respect for the job the folks who work for it do.
No system is perfect, but no one here goes without either medical or essential dental care that is free at point of contact. We don't pay for prescibed medications at point of need either.
The NHS is effectively a private health service for the people who live in the UK. Every single person who pays NI pays for it. It's ours and it's not set up to fund private greed.
No getting away from it, private greed, big pharma, etc., are all claws firmly out for it though, and their constant drip feeding of negativity isn't the reality that I see and experience....not saying that the NHS couldn't be improved, but thrown over for privatisation ? No.

From the bottom of my heart I thank everyone who pays their National Insurance. When we needed it, health care, good health care, was freely and promptly available without a single worry about how we were going to afford very expensive medical treatment. My son is alive because people pay their NI, and the folks who work for the NHS.

Done arguing with you; it's repetition is tedious, and I'd rather read about stuff folks are making, where they're going, what they're sourcing and using, what's growing and coming up.

On that note, I have p. betullina slices sitting dried, and decided to try using one as a strop on my paring knife. The result was surprisingly good :D
I'd recommend folks giving it a shot if they get the chance.

M

Reactions: Woody girl

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, it was also used to give a very fine edge to scalpels and needle tips before we became wasteful and throw them away after each use.
It was the final step after sharpening on Agate stones.
No compound needed.
Not sure if it contains tiny crystals of some sort when dried?
Another good use for it is to remove the surface rust on carbon steel knives.

I have a piece of a dried polypore that I use it for this.
I found that it works/cleans better if the side used is cut against the ‘fiber’.

Chaga is another interesting tree disease.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Single use scalpel blades, suture needles and hypodermic needles are a tremendous saving in cross contamination and wasted effort sharpening.
They are all made by machine, 24/7. They are even inspected by laser. Untouched by the human hand. Great economy.

You learn this when you buy supplies in class laboratory quantities, 120 - 250 students at a time.
BTW, some of the Pre-Meds are not the sharpest scalpel in the drawer.
I stood on the other side of the desk from them for more than 30 years.

You guys never see very much Paleo. It's been lost to you all for thousands of years.
It exists and persists here. Here, it's no further than down my street and on every Rez.
You're also wrong about herbal cancer treatments: some active componds have been characterized from Taiga herbals.
Some of that has been good enough to attract Big Pharma funding.

Probably the last and most persistent of all the Paleo herbal stuff would be the herbs and spices for seasonings.
None of that is just last week's discovery.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I know the old needles only as a patient, not as a care giver.

Yes, the disposable are good for removing cross contamination, and also better healing.
Also fantastically nice to use!

Dad taught me how to sharpen a scalpel and needles, out of interest.
His generation were taught it in the Med. Faculty.
I inherited his set of surgical instruments.

Modern needles are fantastic, they have several cutting sngles so the point glides in effortlessly and painlessly.
(Almost).

The superb steels make very thin ealls possible, again, less oressure needed, so much less pain.

I wish volcanic glass scalpels were approved for human use.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Look beyond obsidian glass if you need a low-insult scalpel.
The diamond ones get better every year. Opthamology, neurology and so on.

Last time I had a blood sample taken, honestly, that needle was square and blunt.
Must have been from the batch either on Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Back in the early 1970's, my diamond knife cost $1,500.00 per mm edge length.
It would have cost exactly $1,500.00 per mm to get it sharpened. It was 4mm long.
Cheer up, Janne = it's only money.

I'd like to see polypore on Birch. Must not be a Taiga thing on any of our birch species.
Is it woody stiff like other bracket fungi fruiting bodies?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, kind of softish woody. You can chew on it when it is young, but not a pleasant flavour.

Chantarelles, Steinpilz ( english name - no clue) are delicious.

Funhi are excellent in concentrating heavy metals in their fruiting bodies. I do not know of the Birch Polyp.. and Chaga does the same?

The fallout from Chernobyl ( Chernobyl = Wormwood) landed in nordern Sweden. The firest funghi took it up and concentrated. Animals ate them.
Even reindeer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE