Birch Polypore (Piptoporus betulinus) OFFER!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I have 4 Piptoporus betulinus otherwise known as the birch polypore or razor strop fungus that I collected yesterday. I believe that this polypore can be used as a very effective coal fungus.

If anybody would like one to play with one please PM me your details and I will get them posted off to you. I will wait for them to dry out as this will greatly save on postage - should be dried out by early next week.

More may be availalbe in the near future ;)

Phil.

Reactions: fred gordon

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
i found 2 large ones of these today in good condition. can you tell me how i can harnass them into some sort of tinder (how do i use them)
Josh

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
ah i see cheers i shall have to have a go at this tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions for something i can find in the Uk that will take a spark and is relativly common

baggins said:
IAny chance you could pop a picture of them up as i think i have some growing in a nearby wood, but am at a complete loss when it comes to identifying different brackets.
Leo

Hi Leo,

Please find a picture of them growing on fallen dead silver birch: -

Fungi_3.jpg

And here's a picture of them picked and dried: -

Polypore.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

Sorry for the delays guys :(

I went to the Post Office this afternoon and it was closed :aargh4:

Also I have to apologise because one of the polypores had been cut to make a plaster. I packaged all of them, mixed up the envelopes and then put the labels on - so SORRY to whomever gets the one that has a small lump cut out of it :eek:

Should get them in the post tomorrow :D

Phil.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Polypore arrived today - many thanks - I hope that the plaster was only cut for practice or was it a pretty hefty cut? Yup - I got the cut one!
I will be slicing the fungus to try it as a strop, also trying it as a styptic when I cut myself, and playing with it and fire so the cut out of it is of no consequence and my thanks are genuine as we have little birch here and even lass fungus!
Cheers
John

John Fenna said:
Polypore arrived today - many thanks - I hope that the plaster was only cut for practice or was it a pretty hefty cut? Yup - I got the cut one!
I will be slicing the fungus to try it as a strop, also trying it as a styptic when I cut myself, and playing with it and fire so the cut out of it is of no consequence and my thanks are genuine as we have little birch here and even lass fungus!
Cheers
John

John,

Glad it arrived and sorry it was the cut one :eek:

It was only used to practice btw.

I'll be sure to get some more in the future and get another off to you.

Have fun with the polypore mate ;)

Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE