Birch Polypore (Piptoporus betulinus) OFFER!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Phil,

got mine through, again many thanks. I've never managed to find one growing locally but will keep my eyes peeled for them even more now.

Looking forward to using it.

AndyW said:
Phil,

got mine through, again many thanks. I've never managed to find one growing locally but will keep my eyes peeled for them even more now.

Looking forward to using it.

Glad it's arrived ok Andy.

Once you know what your looking for they become very easy to ID - I have mainly found them on fallen silver birch here in Kent, although our Christmas in Cheshire I found lots of polypores on dead standing birch.

Hope you have some fun with it.

Phil

I have 1 more Piptoporus betulinus otherwise known as the birch polypore or razor strop fungus that I collected yesterday.

If anybody would like one to play with one please PM me your details and I will get them posted off to you. I will wait for them to dry out as this will greatly save on postage - should be dried outl later this week.

Phil.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hi mate
I have only just got around to playing with the polypore you sent me - pressure of other projects and that terrible thing called "work" - but I am impressed with it as a resource!
For those not in the know it is more absorbant than a "super-sponge", makes a great strop for a knife edge, is a supurb dressing for cuts (cut slices thru the body of the fungus) and also burns long and bright.
I found a storm shattered Silver Birch in our local woods and on it was a polypore - unfortunately the tree - altho in 2 pieces - was held upright by conifers around it and the polypore was still about 20 foot off the ground!
One day it may fall and give me a supply of bark for firelighting, container making etc, wood for spoons etc and fungi for all the above, but for now the shattered trunk has 'replanted' itself deep in the soil and the top is held firmly by other trees.
The rooted stump may be harvesrable if I am careful - but then left alone it may survive and grow again, so I will leave it be.
See you in a wood sometime!
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE