Meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crefftwr

May 8, 2011
North Wales
Had a great weekend out and we tried a new earth oven technique (Cheated with foil) made somechar- cloth and honed a few skills, was excellent thanks guys, out of curiosity what is everyone's favourite dish in the wild, Im a big advocate of lamb myself, but any interesting suggestions?

cheers

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Mackerel straight out of the water with some bread and butter and savoury rice. A common yet underrated fish and easy to catch.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The best thing I've tried so far (and we normally make something good) is simple venison steaks seared in a tray over the fire...
french cured sausage was used to provide the frying fat by pushing a few slices around the hot tray beforehand.

It was the best tasting steak of anything I've tried, and I've tried many good steaks in my time.

As a side dish, ember baked sweet potatos.... Take half the time of normal spuds and taste superb with whatevers for main.

al.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
During the deer culling times. I often take a lavvu out with me on to the estate. I'll set it up in the small hours of the morning then head out on the cull. Nothing beats bringing back a deer and preparing it for cooking. The process involved is quite emotional for me as I think deer are one the most beautiful animals.The connection to the wild in them extremely primeval moments is stunning...

When the deer are out of season, Even though my freezer is full of the stuff, I enjoy rabbit cooked on a spit. The loin meat being smoked over the fire for use later. With pheasants, I take wood sorrel and put it inside the cavity of the bird. This along with some wild thyme gives the most beautiful flavour. Wood pigeon breast roasted over the fire, served pink. With a wood sorrel, blanched dandelion leaves and other goodies.

To me, game always tastes better when it's in season. I've no idea why. Maybe it's because it's not been frozen or taken unlawfully. I have no idea. But it definitely seems this way to me. :)

PS. Interesting fact of the day.

"Venison", was coined by modern day game dealers as a word to describe deer. Venison is actually any ground dwelling animal hunted by us for the purpose of eating. Hare, rabbit, wild boar, pig, all deer and relations of, ibex ect-ect.:)

LJ

Last edited:

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
I dig a pit, fill it with coals, add sand on top or dirt, lay oak leaves down then meat, then leaves, then wood plank I made wwith knife, add dirt and more coals, top with dirt. that works well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE