Mears new series.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
...............very good :D and what a good partnership with canoe ace, Ray 'Smiley' Goodwin. What a star :) Just left me aching for more...

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
arruugg! did anyone tape it i missed the first half hour!??

the bit i saw i thought was really great, best yet i would say i really enjoyed him traveling with a companion he seemed a lot more jovial, really enjoyed watching the other guy get fire by friction remembering that un-containable pleasure!

good show raymond!

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I absolutely loved this episode, and consider it the best of the whole series! Wicked & smashing my little sister would say :D

Surprised nobody mentioned:
- the click thingie for the fireflash ...
- the other Ray had a Woodlore knife ... (clearly visible by the sheath)
- the real Ray :D ;) had a Mora knife (as a spare) on top of his life jacket :eek: ...
- the availability of CD's / singles by Ray ;)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Fan-bloomin-tastic!
Made all the more so because I spent most of wednesday evening struggling to paddle a modern canadian canoe along the river cam. They made it look so easy, Ray M's boat seemed to be almost a living creature, dancing on the water compared to the tupperware bath-tub I tried.
The bannock recipe looks nice and straight forward too.
I liked the blend of traditional and modern amongst Rays kit. I'll be having a go at making one of those neat folding saws.

Cheers
Dave

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton

I really liked that saw too and fancy having a go at making one is it a historical piece or is it a modern idea?

He had his food stuff in some really nice leather bags I’d quite like a couple of those any body notice them too?

hootchi

Settler
jdlenton said:

I really liked that saw too and fancy having a go at making one is it a historical piece or is it a modern idea?
The prospector canoe is an old design still popular today. There has been some talk of it on the selway fisher canoe thread and roving rich made on himeself. :cool:

jdlenton said:
He had his food stuff in some really nice leather bags I’d quite like a couple of those any body notice them too?
i noticed them aswell but i also noticed he had ziplock plastic bags insidew them aswell- the voyageurs would have had to put up with damp flour. :)

Can't wait till next week...

bbc.co.uk listings
Ray Mears' Bushcraft
Thu 5 May, 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm 60mins

Riding into America's past and travelling to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem where cars are banished, Ray's in the footsteps of Jim Bridger, one of the mountain men responsible for finding a path across the continental divide that was suitable for wagon trains.

From a real life mountain man to the Shoshone who've lived there for centuries, Ray explores the skills needed to live in this remote environment; from making a boat out of willow and buffalo skin, to preserving meat and berries.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
ye loved the food bags anyone got a link were to get them the iner ones and the leather ones and while im at it what was the clip thing for the fire steel ?????????????

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hootchi i wasn't on about the canoe (i,m just about to order a set of plans) i was on about the folding frame saw;) looks 1600/1700's to me

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
dont no .........He has always got good little bits of kit i saw in another program he had a realy little shaving brush iv looked for one but no luck.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think the clip-thing on the firesteel can be got either from fishing shops of key-cutting shoe repair type kiosks.
I was quite taken by the leather baggies too - I'll bet they were hand made for or by Ray.

Dave

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thanks Dave :) my work blocks geocities so i'll have a look when i get home stupid web filtering means i cant get a blade and some wood on my way home :( James:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE