Meal and Stove, All in One

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Many people go on about how carrying food in tins is such a terrible thing and they are so heavy. How about we make use of the tins to make a fire to cook the grub on. The stove is made of 3 or 4 tins and is designed around a cheap and cheerful meal for two. In the example shown I am using 2 tins of whole potato, one tin of all day breakfast ( chicken in sauce, curry, all work well). Two small tins, one of mushrooms, one of sweetcorn complete the list. Not too expensive I think as a meal for two.

In the first photothe large tin has had it's bottom completely removed by a tin openercutting across the tin and the top removed but leaving the edge. Thisgives a bottom edge which is easy to cut and a top edge giving a bitof strength. The same has been done to one of the smaller tins, the2[SUP]nd[/SUP] one is yet to be done. I have also marked a line onthe large tin which is as high as the small tin is wide.

The large tin is nowcut from the plain edge up to the marked line. A number of cuts canbe used to make an opening as wide as one of the small cans. This isdone on both sides. In this way a “H” or tunnel is made to fitthe 2 small cans.

A rounded V shapedcut is made in both the small tins which will form the fire hole,which in turn is inserted into the large tin chimney. If wanted the2[SUP]nd[/SUP] large tin can form a bigger chimney by cutting offboth top and bottom leaving both the edges this time.

I accept that itsnot a long term device but how many meals will you eat over a weekend!!!!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Fire_Tin1.jpg
    Fire_Tin1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Fire_Tin4.jpg
    Fire_Tin4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Fire_Tin3.jpg
    Fire_Tin3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Fire_Tin5.jpg
    Fire_Tin5.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 121

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
That white on the inside of the tins is plastic lining. It will stink on first burn so be careful of the fumes. They're nasty.

Sent from my UMI eMAX using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
It should be gone by the time the flames ease off and it will depend on what tins are used on the day. Still a valid point mind

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
The wood came from an old cupboard so may of had some chemicals in it but it is a nice self contained fire!

Attachments

• Fire_Tin6.jpg
    Fire_Tin6.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 8

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE