me first knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
It's not fair, first you make some very nice stuff out of leather and now you made your first knife and its a really nice one.
Can't you leave some talent, for the rest of us! :D

I'm curious too, about the type of wood you used.
Looks a bit like the same wood I used on a knife, but I don't know what it is?

Cheers, Jasper

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Woww, thanks for the comments guys, was not expecting this at all to be honest, I'm not sure what the wood is bud,mi just had it, and can't remember where I got it from,as for heat treatment, I done so much research, it was unreal, to get it just right, also I make so much leather for knife makers, they helped me loads, with what temp and such, I heat treated mine in a little heat treatment kiln, I bought from a knife maker, that does not do it any more, as for me the most important part of a knife is heat treatment, so I spent more time on this subject than I have on anything else., I heated this to 800c and tempered at 400f, I let this soak for 3 and half minutes.
hope that helps mate.

Last edited:

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
I heat treated mine in a little heat treatment kiln, I bought from a knife maker, that does not do it any more, as for me the most important part of a knife is heat treatment, so I spent more time on this subject than any one else, I heated this to 800c and tempered at 400degrees, I let this soak for 3 and half minutes.
hope that helps mate.

Great knife- are you mixing c and F in these figures? - 800c sounds OK but 400c is I think too high for tempering, 400F is fine though!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As Nic says, 400F (202C) would make it around 61/62RC. 400C would make it about 40RC at a guess.

Great knife- are you mixing c and F in these figures? - 800c sounds OK but 400c is I think too high for tempering, 400F is fine though!

Last edited:

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Lee, great job mate!!! Id be chuffed to bits if my first one turned out like that!.. My question is, who are you planning on getting to do the leather for it?? ;)

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
As Nic says, 400F (202C) would make it around 61/62RC. 400C would make it about 40RC at a guess.
Sorry mate meant 400f lol came out a lovely straw colour very pleased with the heat treat mate, a digital heat treat oven helps with that mind you mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE