MCQBushcraft - Introduction to Bushcraft series

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Appreciate the welcome. I must admit I'm a little 'surprised' about whats been said in the thread.
Apart from the articles on 'unlicensed instruments' there is no other literature stating that hand lining is illegal. A fishing rod can be an unlicensed instrument with out a license. I have a fishing license.

Id not take that to heart it may of been initially sparked by an observation on your vid but it doesnt read as aimed directly at you and about your vids.

I

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Mike,

It's useful to clarify the finer points of the legislation (to prevent getting nicked). Since the question has been asked, we might as well find the answer if we can.

I enjoy your videos and take note of your advice. I have made several purchases based on your recommendations. So, thanks very much for your time to put the channel together. It is appreciated.

Regards, Jack

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I often get called on legality, everything I do is above board to the best of my knowledge.
Appreciate the comments on the channel, means a great deal and enjoy the witch hunt.

As the one who first brought it up, please don't think of it as a witch hunt. I've really enjoyed your videos and look forward to the next in the series.

It would be good once and for all to clarify the law on hand lines. I've emailed DEFRA and the EA, so hope for the a good clarifying response. Keep up what you're doing.

Cheers

J

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
Apart from the articles on 'unlicensed instruments' there is no other literature stating that hand lining is illegal. A fishing rod can be an unlicensed instrument with out a license. I have a fishing license.

Which is what I've been saying all along lol

I enjoyed your vid Mike, it was nice to see someone else firstly (most importantly) checking the legality, and secondly enjoying the technique

jeeves1275

Aug 6, 2014
United Kingdom
Just to bring this back on topic :)

I've been a subscriber to Mike's channel for a while and really enjoy the videos, not only the Bushcraft ones but also the hunting stuff of which I know nothing. Good to get an insight into how people who are able to go about it, though I'm not sure anyone sat next to me on the train while I watch the videos really wants to see someone squeezing the guts out of a squirrel!

He obviously knows his stuff, is passionate about it and happy to go to great lengths to film and produce the videos, write his blog, respond to comments and questions principally for other people's benefit (I assume he hasn't got rich off this (yet!)) I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

As an aside I also enjoy the odd trips out he has with ZedOutdoors - they make a good double act!!

Cheers

Mark

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Shouldn't all of this have been put into a separate post? Just saying; I clicked on the post regarding MCQ Bushcraft...

I haven't watched a lot yet, but I will. As mentioned, he does have a RM persona about him, info is really good and delivered in a relaxed manner. A lot to learn for anyone's skill level I think. I can see a bright future ahead and wish him all the best. I'll certainly keep tuned

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Shouldn't all of this have been put into a separate post? Just saying; I clicked on the post regarding MCQ Bushcraft...

I haven't watched a lot yet, but I will. As mentioned, he does have a RM persona about him, info is really good and delivered in a relaxed manner. A lot to learn for anyone's skill level I think. I can see a bright future ahead and wish him all the best. I'll certainly keep tuned

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

His videos are very well done, and informative, and I shall enjoy watching more of them.
Im also jealous of his permission. :)
Keep up the good work Mike.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I watched his most recent video on hunting squirrel and wood pigeon. Whilst I have an appreciation that a shotgun is a definitive tool I would like to see more hunting and prep videos from him using more readily available items that the average bushcraft practitioner would be able to use such as trapping skills and maybe the use of air rifles/catapults.

Thats my own preference and I think the information and knowledge given in the videos is great.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, very valid point, I'll see how this can be split up.

I have to say this thread isn't a reflection on MCQ, if anything the vid stimulated some great discussion :D

After much chopping about there is now a thread about the legalities of rods and handlines that can be found right HERE

Please do not discuss it further in this thread, this thread is for the discussion on the video in the OP

Last edited:

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
I have followed this guy for a while,and i also think he comes across really well, Makes a nice change !! In as much he seems calm, humble ,also v knowledgeable .
Maybe he would do a group course, if enough people wanted to participate, stick in a fair few quid each to make it worth his while.!
just a thought.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
The second video in the series regarding access to private land is now available.

[video=youtube;6TaqrAnl3XQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TaqrAnl3XQ[/video]

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
The private Land vid came out bang on time for me! I was getting a little daunted by my new OS map.

Very good point on the asking for permission stuff - folk often forget that complete strangers won't know how well-meaning you are, you're just another stranger on their doorstep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE