Maya sticks at Wyevale

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well not. quite. I was looking round the garden centre today and found in the bbq section some 'Ocote' a Mayan aromatic grill match.
Well at £1.99 for 7 sticks about the size of your little finger I thought we'll have a play. Don't really buy in to this sort of stuff normally.
Anyway scrape/ shave a few curls off the stick and light, really easily and burn hot started the house fire with it tonight. :)
Dave

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Well not. quite. I was looking round the garden centre today and found in the bbq section some 'Ocote' a Mayan aromatic grill match.
Well at £1.99 for 7 sticks about the size of your little finger I thought we'll have a play. Don't really buy in to this sort of stuff normally.
Anyway scrape/ shave a few curls off the stick and light, really easily and burn hot started the house fire with it tonight. :)
Dave

If you scrape shavings off one - will the shavings light with sparks from a firesteel?

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry been a bit busy. Yes they will light straight form the firesteel. I just shaved a few curls of them aka feather stick then light with ferro rod. They are pretty pine soaked and burn well.
Bit gizmo'y but at the price something to play with and stick in your tinder pouch or emergency kit.
Dave

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I remember using the maya dust rubbish once, trying to light it repeatedly and in the end I set my sock on fire (cotton, and it was damp). That pretty much summed up how awful the maya dust is, although I did hear the sticks were better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE