Maxpedition remora alternative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I am looking for something like this

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Remora-Gearslinger-2p384.htm

But hopefully a bit cheaper?

Overall it's about 9 x 7 x 4 inches.

I want something that I can sling over my shoulder, and also attach to the front of a couple of different rucksacks. I don't especially want this "gunslinger" style, but don't object to it.

Its, just got to be big enough to carry the things that I seem to use regularly, e.g fire starting kit, multi tool etc, and stuff that I hope never to use, but want to know I have with me .e.g first aid for burns and cuts. Something I can take on a walk, but also something I can grab to take into the garden when trying out a new stove, knowing that the key things are all in one bag.

I've thought of a Snugpak response pack, but I would rather have something vertical to attach to a rucksack, and it may be too big. I've also thought of a gas mask case, but much as I like these, I feel that something more modern is likely to have better fixing options, better at dealing with rain etc.

However, at the moment I haven't ruled anything in or out, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham

Last edited:

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Graham

I have ordered a lot of kit from Military 1st and returned a few bits too. I might suggest that you give that bag a whirl but if you don't like the look of it/quality when you receive it then return it. Can't see that being a problem from personal experience so long as you haven't trashed the packaging etc.

Sack

matty1967

Feb 2, 2009
north wiltshire
hi
i have the remora,had it for several years,it goes shooting with me dozens of times a year,i have attached a couple of molle pouches also for bipod,rifle mags,torch etc and the main bag is used for knife,spare ammo, range finder and loads of bits and pieces.i either sling it or put on my quad and it shows little wear and tear.a great buy i would say.i gaged at the price initialy but now it owes me little.
matt

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks Sack and Matt,

Food for thought here. I have never had much luck trying to save money, and a YouTube review of a copy from hong kong, had stitching fail during the review, ie rather than the Velcro pulling apart, the stitching pulled out. But I know the quality of these copies vary tremendously and I am struggling to justify the Maxp price.

Glad to know that you are pleased with yours Matt.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Well, having spent the day studying bags, when I should have doing something else, there was a new remora on eBay at about £20 less than I had found them elsewhere, and I couldn't resist it.

Although only time will tell, the more I looked at it, the more it seemed to be the only bag that seemed to be the right size and shape, and although I almost clicked on the Military 1st bag, in the end I went for the Maxp option.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I got the same bag for around £9 from dealextreme, http://dx.com/p/vintage-multi-pocke...nger-shoulder-back-chest-bag-soil-color-58137, fairly well made, only had it a few weeks but so far so good

That is cheap, but as you will now see, I have now shelled out for MaxP one, I hope yours works out OK. As I said in an earlier post it seems that these identical looking bags seem to be made in different places and the quality varies rather a lot.

Thanks for letting me know.

Graham

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I have had a remora for 20 months now which was gifted to me by a friend. I know what you mean by price but.... You get what you pay for. When compared to a decent knife or good pair of boots it comes well under those prices. I hear a lot about the Maxi prices and yes they are not on the cheap side but then the product you receive is of the highest quality.

I also have a Maxi Vulture 2 where as my mate has a snugpack 40 litre of some description he bought for £35. The Snugpack is coming apart at the seams....

There are probably some decent alternatives, but for a similar quality you will probably still be paying a similar price.

ACK - Just realised I have the Malaga and not the Ramora (they look kinda similar) - However I will leave my comment as is was about quality and it will have a similar build.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Netfrog,

Thanks, I agree with you, and indeed as you will see, I did in fact go for the MaxP, which I am confident I won't regret quality wise. I sort of sidetracked my own thread by the link to the remora clone, as I wasn't really asking about a cheaper remora, but about possible alternatives to the remora that I should consider before buying the remora , which hopefully were also cheaper.

Anyway I am now looking forward to it arriving.

Graham

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Netfrog,

Thanks, I agree with you, and indeed as you will see, I did in fact go for the MaxP, which I am confident I won't regret quality wise. I sort of sidetracked my own thread by the link to the remora clone, as I wasn't really asking about a cheaper remora, but about possible alternatives to the remora that I should consider before buying the remora , which hopefully were also cheaper.

Anyway I am now looking forward to it arriving.

Graham

Oh yes, a slight tangent there! Well I am sure you will love it assuming it does all you need it too. I do have a problem with Maxpedition though, once you have one......
If its not what you are looking for my bday is in October ;-)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Oh yes, a slight tangent there! Well I am sure you will love it assuming it does all you need it too. I do have a problem with Maxpedition though, once you have one......
If its not what you are looking for my bday is in October ;-)

Mmmmm, I could well be in Scotland in October, I hope that isn't an omen.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE