Mats that work with hammocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have a Issued Army Roll Mat which I find quite comfortable in my DD Travel Hammock.
I also have an Exped Downmat 7 pump which in terms of comfort it's way above the Issued Army Roll Mat, both of these can be used for ground dwelling as well which is a bonus in IMO.
However lately I have been wanting to invest in a DD Underquilt, I know it's only used for hammocking which is both an advantage (designed specifically for this purpose) & a disadvantage (can't be used for both Hammocking & Ground dwelling.) Do you think there will be much difference / Benefit of getting one?

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I have a Issued Army Roll Mat which I find quite comfortable in my DD Travel Hammock.
I also have an Exped Downmat 7 pump which in terms of comfort it's way above the Issued Army Roll Mat, both of these can be used for ground dwelling as well which is a bonus in IMO.
However lately I have been wanting to invest in a DD Underquilt, I know it's only used for hammocking which is both an advantage (designed specifically for this purpose) & a disadvantage (can't be used for both Hammocking & Ground dwelling.) Do you think there will be much difference / Benefit of getting one?

I have both; my issued Roll Mat and the DD Under Quilt. I've tried both, but when I was hanging last night in the South Downs it was the Under Quilt that that kept me nice and toasty. I personally find it far more comfortable than the Roll Mat.

I use the Under Quilt and a Snugpak Softie 9 as a top quilt (I just zip up the foot box). When the temp really drops I have Softie top and bottoms, Softie tent shoes and I zip up my jacket over the foot end of the whole lot.

It is a worry though that I have no ground capability in my kit should I need it, but then if it really came to it I'm sure I could improvise by shoving stuff in the Hammock mat sleeve to get that insulation from the ground. Failing that its a call to the wife and a Burger on the way home :)

Ed

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Timely post ;)
I've been hanging today and experimenting.
I tried my 3/4 underquilt with a woobie ontop and wrapped around my feet. The UQ didn't work aswell as I'd expected. Partly due to my Asym lay. I then tried a full length semi inflated matt laid in the asymmetric postion between my hammocks layers. And the woobie lining the hammock......big Improvement :thumbup: I then tried my kipbag onto. Within 15 minutes I was toasty and ended up in just my undercrackers, socks and a wool shirt. So at the moment .....a full length matt works best for me. I am however making or going to have made for me, a full length UQ.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i think i prefer a foam matt not as ridgid. when using inflated thermarest i dont do the thread up works fine. deer hides work well but fills the void up with hoose hair. lol.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I usually use a 3/4 Thermarest, very lightly inflated. I have a full-length self-inflater that I once mistakenly took on exercise; I was using a DD Scout hammock and the full-size was a real pain to get in the slot. I think that the 3/4 works much better. It's also lighter and less bulky.

Claudiasboris

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
I partially inflate my full size thermarests and stick it inside my bivvy bag - feet inside bivi bag rest of it unzipped and that's it no movement whatsoever - to the point that if I don't get my "spot" right it's a ******* to move!
Sleep nice n warm and if snatching happens I can still sleep on the deck.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
The main purpose of the mat is insulation. A cheap CCF foam mat, 10-12 mm thick will serve down to about freezing for most people. Highlander make a series the most expensive of which is UKP 12.99. I use a really cheap USD 8 CCF mat from Walmart. Most mats are only 20" (60 cm) wide, which is not enough to protect your shoulders and hips which press against the sides of the hammock. You need to be about 30" (90 cm) wide. I achieve this by cutting the pad in half and laying the two short pads alongside each other, overlapped to give the requisite width, and with a couple of loops of string laced through small holes punched through the pads to stop them from moving apart during the night. I find the wide torso pad so formed to be satisfactory as an insulator, and comfortable. I have a single layer, Hennessy hammock, so the pad(s) are directly underneath me. With a double layer hammock, it might be better to have the pad(s) between the layers. I have used this set up to about 5 Celsius with a -5 synthetic sleeping bag used as a top quilt. Lower legs and feet are inside the footbox, and the unzipped bag over the body and tucked in at the sides. Can't be beat for effectiveness, versatility (can go to ground) or cost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE