matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Any of you carry matches in your kit? If so, what kind? Do you use waterproof ones or waterproof them yourself? What do you carry them in?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Hoodoo,

I carry plenty of matches.
A strike anywhere type known over here as Swan Vestas. I carry some in a waterproof, screw top, wide neck nalgene bottle that I got as a sample at a lab supply show, I pack these pretty tight to avoid them chaffing on one another. I carry more in the 12g cartridge match safe shown in one of Ray Mears books. I also carry a smallish strip of wet & dry paper in my pack to strike them on if need be - this has several other uses too.
I also carry a firesteel and disposable lighter.
I tried waterproofing matches with candle wax and beeswax but haven't found it to work too well.

Dave

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I waterproof my matches with sealing wax, nail polish or some other laquer... and keep then in a plastic film canister with a little cotton wool to pack them together :)

Ed

bagman

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2003
Oxon
I have put away a lot of Army ration packs in my time and they all came with a little pack of lifeboat matches and a striker so I have a goodly stash of these.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i use for "normall" fire lighting IF i use a match, i use the coughlans "waterproof" match, for bad condition i carry lifeboat matches or hurrican matches with me, but i never had to use them. Mine firesteel looks much cooler !

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I gave up on storm matches - the striking strips never seem to last as long as the match supply - and carry the old-fashioned cook's matches these days. They're kept waterproof in a rather spiffy brass case from Cabela's.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Strike any where matches in a old film canister with a strip pf coarse wet and dry glued to the out side does the trick for me - never failed me.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
The new windmill stormproof lighter's rather made them redundant, but along with firesteel and magnesium I keep a couple of dozen lifeboat matches and several striker strips in a spare contact lens case in my jacket.

Swan vestas in a plastic match safe live in the cooking kit too.

A little overkill never hurt :-D

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Hoodoo said:
Any of you carry matches in your kit? If so, what kind? Do you use waterproof ones or waterproof them yourself? What do you carry them in?

In the cubs, we used to take a box of Swan or Captain Webb and tie them all together with a bit of cotton, then drip candle wax all over the striking end. You get:

waterproof mathes
a big chunk of matches, so if you fumble because your fingers are cold, you find them in the dark,
matches that burn hotter and longer, becasue of the extra fuel that is provided by the wax.

Keith.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
For years I carried strike anywhere matches with the tips dipped in wax. Lately though, I've found that the wax seems to cause a deterioration in the lighting ability of the match. I've heard similar complaints about lacquer. Some people claim that the matches aren't at good as they use to be. I know we can't get Ohio Blue Tips any more. Diamond brand are still around but rumor has it that they are on their way out because insurance companies won't cover shipping.

My favorite now are the stormproof matches from REI. These are the best matches I've ever found but you have to have a striker for them. But they are great.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I tend to carry Stormproof matches in a waterproof container that I picked up at Field & Trek. Really just save them for emergencies as I use either my Blue Blazer or fire steel when I'm out.

I want a decent windproof lighter but am far too skint :-(

Hellz

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Hoodoo said:
I know we can't get Ohio Blue Tips any more.

I think those are the ones that Jerry Dennis reminisced lovingly about in "From a Wooden Canoe." Another slice of nostalgia slips quietly away...

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I, like bagman have a large stash of the 10 packs of lifeboat matches from rat packs. I use these in kits and the like. I also have a couple of vials of them too. My favourite though is a canister of swan vestas'. I managed to fit 70 of these in one pot and a cut down tea light in the top. This compares to 25 lifeboat matches. Bargain :-D.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Funny thing,have you noticed that if you use a fire steal is probably swedish and since Bryant and May closed down are matches are now made in ....

Sweden

Have you noticed the large made in Sweden on the front of England's Glory matches?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Mora knives - Gransfor axes - fire steels - matches - a lot of the best outdoor gear comes from Sweden.

Makes me wonder why I hang on in this greedy, souless country sometimes. Sweden seems to be bushcraft heaven.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Half-decent stormproof lighters are available from the Gadget Shop for about 4 quid.

In terms of waterproofing matches, I found that, if you don't wax/lacquer the whole match, if the end gets wet, the moisture moves up the matchstick as it's absorbed by the wood and the head gets wet. Either bite the bullet and buy stormproof matches (like the REI ones) or make sure you have a good waterproof container (film cannister? with a bit of cotton wool for tinder and to prevent matchheads rubbing together - also put half the matches opposite way round, like head-to-toe). The best idea, I suppose, is to have a few different ways of lighting fires, spread through your kit: matches, stormproof lighter, firestick, etc. Ie, don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

Cheers,

Mike

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Your right Mikey - more ways of lighting a fire means more chances to succeed - Matches (being of limited number) should only be used when Sparks fail.

Fire lighting, like decorating, is all about preparation. Get that right and the rest is easy.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
The large size Diamond Strike Anywhere Matches in a prescription pill bottle for me. I found that the film canisters were too small for the large matches (might work for the smaller size). I also put one of those party candles that you can't blow out into the bottle as well to help with fire lighting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE