Matchcase

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
Mornin everyone,

Thanks for feedback. I contacted Shwert as suggested, his reply (sure he wont mind me sharing it):

Mark,

"Right now Keith's website is only taking mailorders, which limits his ability to provide cases internationally. I am hoping we can activate the credit card process once again in a few months.

The problem we have is the instantaneous requirements of the credit card processor. This made it difficult for us to maintain our sanity.

I will try and let you know when we reopen the site to credit payments".

Randy

Think I'll hang on and wait till things are up and running.

Thanks

Mark

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Miggers
I look forward to your review
Chas
Miggers said:
At $35 including postage I took the plunge. The order response email calls it the Silva Brass Matchcase. A quick look on the web shows more outlets for the case, none in the UK that I could find though.

Will post a 'review' when it arrives.

Pete

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Cabelas used to sell the K&M matchsafe, then switched to the Silva. The Silva has a head that screws in.

Silva on the left, K&M on the right.
matchsafes2c.jpg

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
small urine specimine bottle. very tough, holds p**s in or water out. 75pence from your local chemist. why spend more than you have to. It`s for keeping your matches/striker dry for crying out loud. :confused:

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
HooDoo, you must go back as far as I do! I still have my original Boy Scout matchsafe like yours, and a Marbles and an Everdry. I mostly carry the Everdry, I like the design the best. Been with me for over 40 years!
As for the K&M, I bought a brass one some years back, weighs too much and the system to keep the cap on is not all that impressive to me. Threw it in a drawer somewhere. The Silva looks better if it is aluminum. Cheers!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Bushwacker said:
small urine specimine bottle. very tough, holds p**s in or water out. 75pence from your local chemist. why spend more than you have to. It`s for keeping your matches/striker dry for crying out loud. :confused:

Wow - you just don't get this site, do you?

Why have a 75 pence waterproof p**s bottle when you can have a $20 handmade brass matchcase with a compass in the top? Why buy a 7 quid Mora when you could have a 400 quid Woodlore? Why buy a 235 quid Swazi Tahr anorak when a 15 quid sprayway cagoule will do?

Yeah - I take your point, and I know you're right, but boys want toys. And I'm embarrassed to say that sometimes I'm one of them! :rolleyes:

leon-1

Bushwacker said:

Have you a link or picture as it may be something for a beginners kit (matchcase, mora, cheapy saw, axe and LK35), it's certainly cheap enough that people won't cry themselves to sleep if they lose one.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
leon-1 said:
Have you a link or picture as it may be something for a beginners kit (matchcase, mora, cheapy saw, axe and LK35), it's certainly cheap enough that people won't cry themselves to sleep if they lose one.

Preferably an empty one.

They're also quite useful for storing things like fish-hooks and scalpel blades. If you push cotton wool in to stop things rattling about, you get a bit of tinder too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They also make great milk containers for "day out" brew kits - the large ones stack nicely in a 10cm Billy can too.

If no-one posts a picture, drop me a PM and I'll show some next to a K&M

Red

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Long long ago we did a group buy here at BCUK for the K&M case. It was the beginnings of Keith's internet sales attempts.

As to the single 0-ring, screwtop version of this (essentially a copy done up in Taiwan using most of Keith's design)....I had best not comment.

K&M cases are available in brass and aluminum versions, but we are just not yet ready to resume the fast paced credit card sales we had going for a while.

I will be working with Keith over the next couple of months to get his internet sales up once again.

leon-1

Schwert said:
Long long ago we did a group buy here at BCUK for the K&M case.

I thought we were going to have a Star Wars moment then Randy "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away"

Randy worked as go between on the previous group buy and did a mighty fine job of it as well IIRC, however it will of taken a toll as the numbers invovled became pretty large and it was Randy that did a lot/all of the distribution.

Schwert said:
K&M cases are available in brass and aluminum versions.

As a happy owner of 6 or so of these I can and will reccomend them, I have friends and family that have them and I have never heard a complaint about them.

Schwert said:
I will be working with Keith over the next couple of months to get his internet sales up once again.

I look forward to you being up and running again for internet sales, but don't kill yourselves doing it, all the best,

Leon.:)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Schwert said:
Long long ago we did a group buy here at BCUK for the K&M case. It was the beginnings of Keith's internet sales attempts.

That's great news - please ignore my previous post on 'group buy'. I very much look forward to the day when I can get my hands one of these but, as someone else has said above, don't bust a gut! We can wait...

...are they ready yet? :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I got a copy of the marbles case from somewhere about six months ago and I cannot remember where. It was cheap and from UK so the postage wasn't a killer. It may have been from Ray Galettas' site, I'll have a look.

A

appletree_man

I have a lot of sympathy for this view. If it's cheap, and it works, that's for me.

I use a couple of these metal containers below, packed with Swan Vestas. They have a screw on top, and are very strong.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-LARGE-Wat...ryZ75041QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I am sort of a matchsafe collector, can't explain why, I guess because a matchsafe was my first piece of outdoor gear many years ago.
My favorite is the Everdry which is no longer made but can be found on eBay occasionally. I still have my original. I also like the older plated brass Boys Scout one, nice clean design that lifts the matches out. Marbles is also good but the only one to get it the original made in USA models. Recently Marbles "reproduced" the matchsafe but it is a cheaply made imitation stamped Marbles and was made in China.
The KM brass safe is very well made, although I personally would prefer a screw on lid. I have never used mine because it is way too heavy for my taste. I am sure the aluminum model is much lighter. I have a Silva Aluminum one with a screw on lid, the bottom has a nasty sharp edge where the lanyard attaches, never use it.
Olicamp makes a nice aluminum one but it is too short for standard strike anywhere matches and the lid comes off and could be misplaced easily. Coleman sells one like the Marbles and it is also a cheapy unit.
My picks, the Everdry, old Boy Scout or original Marbles.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
This is sort of a work in progress, this being the Mk.1.

I saw one of the Tad Gear ones for $40.00 and thought, hey its a piece of tube with a lid. I ordinarily use 35mm film containers, but I like tinkering so hey ho off to the shed.

It is 4.75 inches long, made from 15mm copper plumbing pipe with a copper plumbing end cap soldered on. It has been plastic dipped and has a Speedfit push fit end cap, the cap is removable and replaceable. I would say it is waterproof to a mighty depth so a bit of rain and damp would not affect the contents.

Like I said this is the Mk.1 and I already have a couple of ideas for the new improved Mk.2.

If someone wants it they are welcome, drop me a line.

PS. I had the bits in the shed, but if you were to buy them a few quid would make you three or four. Without plastic dip though, thats expensive, you could wrap in electrical tape or similar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE