Match cases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all just wondering what you carry for a match case. Wondering if you have pictures. I am looking for something nice, different, something. Just looking to upgrade from my cheap plastic matchcase.

Also does anyone know of a good strike anywhere match with blue heads?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I have an old steel type and a brass one. I think the older ones were made better. I will try to get pics. up in then next few days. Bit harrem scarrem right now. I have Ohio Blue Tip strike anywhere matches that I bought several years ago. They are strike anywhere. I save them for a rainy day. :wink:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Geoff Cabalas sell one of the best match case I know of.

CANT HELP WITH THE MATCHES THOUGH.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
matchcaseSmall.jpg

this is mine.. it was cheap and its not all that great.. looking to up grade, wheres scwert our match case expert? :wink:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I use an old shot gun cartridge match safe myself.

Leon those matchsafes are the same ones as Cabelas sells :wink:

leon-1

Gary said:
I use an old shot gun cartridge match safe myself.

Leon those matchsafes are the same ones as Cabelas sells :wink:

Yes I remember yours from Islay, but both Hoodoo and Schwert have said that they have changed in the last couple of years.

I seem to recall that you have had that one for quite a time and if the question of quality has been raised in the last 18months to 2 years I tend to be wary and it will not affect the one that you have.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I use 35mm filn cases, some for wooden matches, some for tinder. I also have some of the early Silva match safes in brass and aluminum, and some like tomtom's style.
just a thought

leon-1

That is a very valid point CG, I used to be able to get 35mm film cannisters for nothing from one of my local developers, so a cheap and effective alternative if you either have a 35mm camera or don't mind asking the local developers if they have any that they don't mind parting with :biggthump

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
The old bluetip strike anywhere matches are no more. The formulation was legally an explosive and utilised for some improvised munitions. There are redtips as made by Diamond in the US and I recall a Canadian brand with a bird on the cover. Even these are becoming difficult to buy. New regulations categorise them as a HAZMAT item and the shipping is prohibitive for many retailers. I have no problem finding the 250 count boxes in 3 packs. Quality control is TERRIBLE. A small % will be utterly useless;broken or poorly shaped matchsticks, the white strike anywhere element missing or very small or the red element also small. I go through mine and hand select the best ones for serious kit and then dip them in wax. This easily rolls off before striking. Don't try to strike one before, it just makes a mess of the striker surface. Some people coat them with nail polish. I tried this and they were very difficult to light. Supposedly there are CHICOM matches of better quality. I'll stick with diamonds for lighting my Tibetan incense :wink:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
The brass Matchcases sold at Cabela's are a Taiwan import copy of the original K&M matchcase design made by Keith Lunders in Idaho. I have not seen them and cannot comment on their quality. However I do not approve of Cabela's ethics for selling these...

Keith Lunders makes what I consider to be the finest example of a matchcase and the thread Leon posted discusses these at length. Keith has taken a break on making these and hopefully will be making them again this year.

Old Marbles or EverDry matchcases appear on eBay all the time and both are good cases. There are new production copies of the Marbles design (see TomTom's above) that are probably good, but again I have not seen these.

Silva (Johnson USA) marketed a screwcap model of the K&M design last year and these may be available. They are decent cases (I have a couple) but in my view the original press fit plug model by Keith is superior.

I will be contacting Keith soon to see what his plans are for Matchcase production this year....fingers crossed, and if interested post in the other thread as I am keeping a tally of interested parties.

Here is a K&M Aluminum Orange PowderCoat version

kmorange4xx.jpg

Edit: I just sent Keith a note....thanks for prompting me. I will let you know what he says about some cases for this year.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
OK piont taken, as leon says my one is old and good quality, it has a Brunton compass and came with replacement o rings ect ect - if they have swapped to a lesser model shame on them for still charging the same price and I see your still selling yours too Schwert who they made by?

Anyway that said I still prefer a simple home made case, and now thanks to Jamie I have a life times supply - cheers mate :You_Rock_

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Andy,

Immediately to the right of the matchcase is a Swedish Military Firesteel, and to its right a stainless steel pill fob capsule.

kmorange4xx.jpg

Also in the picture: Roll of $1 coins, Mouth-to-mouth shield, small first aid kit in plastic pouch, more first aid items including latex gloves in the background, and of course, a SureFire battery holder with CR123 cells and extra lamp assembly, a partial shot of my mending kit is also in the upper left corner.

whitebuffalo

Banned
Oct 28, 2004
Cornwall
I have a CABELAS case in black and its made in the USA, top quality and a very smooth compass only ordered it before Christmas so I guess they cant be selling these cheap ones.

Cabelas are a top quality store and wouldnt risk their oreputation sell cheap far eastern copies IMO

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Whitebuffalo,

Take a look at the literature accompanying the case, if it says K&M from Elk River, Idaho; it is the real deal. Keith supplies a folded note, extra cord and O-rings with his.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE