Massai kids and traditional knowledge

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice project valuing traditional skills of the Massai through painting in school
keny-crop.png

full story here http://www.salon.com/2011/11/24/kenya_tradition_imprint/singleton/

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
What a brilliant idea... as out of touch as the majority of our kids are with their food, the same project could be useful in the UK :)

I remember when ma Eldest was in Reception class and one of his freinds, a farmers lad, explained how they ate their chickens, drank milk which ACTUALLY came from cows and traded lamb.... half the class refused to eat meat for the rest of the term ;)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Good article, thanks. :)

Drawing, painting or making things were obvious ways to pass the time when I was a lad, not do much these days it would seem. :(

Alamo

May 4, 2009
Lancashire
I agree.....a brilliant idea!

I remember when ma Eldest was in Reception class and one of his freinds, a farmers lad, explained how they ate their chickens, drank milk which ACTUALLY came from cows and traded lamb.... half the class refused to eat meat for the rest of the term ;)

I recall a very similar experience with a friend of mine who is a dairy farmer. Having asked his own young (approx 4 yrs) son where eggs came from, the reply he received was 'From Asda'. It was at that point that my friend decided that having a few chickens around the farm might be a good idea. Three years later and his son is now responsible for looking after a small flock providing eggs for the family.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE