Marples Wood Carving Set Gift

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Afternoon all,

Since making the decision to get into bushcraft or whatever you'd call my outdoor chilling, I've got progressively more into some crafts that surround it, and cor, never been so content!

I'm really enjoying wood carving and slowly building my tool kit up. After some disappointing buys at bootsales I'd given up on getting some decent chisels at a price I can do.

Monday just gone, my girlfriend's dad gave me these as a gift. He sharpened them once when he got them aged 21, he's now retired and has never used them.

I'm new to this world but a box of marples chisels is not lost on me! I admit I'm struggling to get the technique right, they're razor sharp and I'm not gliding through wood like I'd imagined, so I'll persevere. The v-tool in particular I'm just scratching the wood with the underside, not carving nice long slivers out.

I have no way of holding the piece still, once I do I'm sure things will be easier (currently jamming it into the back step with my foot!)

I'm also slowly cleaning them up with some garyflex / loy block, they're more shiney now than in the above pic.

Not sure if anyone could offer a bit of advice on using them properly - I'm kool just learning from youtube, but I figured folk here might like to see them.

Thanks, have a good weekend!

Brady

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
You need to learn the choking up grips these enable you precisely push the chisels through the wood, check out Wille Sundqvist, i wish i could explain how to do them in a forum post but i had to read 2 chapters of his book to learn them myself and then put in plenty of practice.

Awesome chisels BTW i have the exact same set in my collection

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
First rule = both hands behind the cutting edge.
Second rule = secure the workpiece.

The first prevents harm to you the second messing up the wood although the first can do that too as blood soaks into nice wood way too quickly! ;)

To secure the workpiece can be as simple as using a heavy board with some holes drilled in it and some pegs whittled to fit with a wedge or pair of wedges to act as a clamp or a second hand workmate. Ultimately the type of carving you do will determine the method of holding it still.
The tools each need a bit of practice to use, as the shape and grind of them needs subtle changes in your angle of approach to the workpiece but just keep at it and you will get the muscle memory for each tool. Try to have a finished article in mind before starting a piece as this will also help you see where you need to change grip/tool or approach, the grain of the wood will often determine the easiest approach and reading the grain of wood is a big part of all woodworking.
You have a great starter set, enjoy the journey:)

Rob.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nice to see. When owner #1 sold that same set to owner #2, they passed through my hands for a tune up.
I did them all at 20 degrees total included bevel. In testing, I learned that they are quite good steel.

Some carvers work on little pieces such that they must hold the work in one hand and carve with the other.
Kevlar and s/s mesh gloves are a must for protection from slicing cuts. There seems little for stabbing cut protection.

As Fraxinus describes, I'll find a way to secure the carving on the bench, both hands behind the tool edges (or mallet and gouge).
PacNW native style crooked knives are held in a fist-grip with pull strokes towards the carver. Having been hit in the chest
more than a few times, that also wrecks my shirts! I had enough scrap to have a very heavy duty canvas apron made.

Lesson: always look for the run-out path of the tool edge if it slips or pops out of the wood. Stay out of the way.

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Been away for a bit so apologies for the delayed response, I'm seriously grateful for all the advice... next step, some way to hold the wood still!

Robson Valley - If I'm reading that right and your hands have touched the box sitting on my workbench this moment, cor small world!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE