Spoon carving set from Lithuania

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
To take a break from leather I like to attempt a bit if spoon carving when I'm out as most here like to do.

I just bought this wee set off eBay to help me step up with my carving. They are hand forged by Gilles and given Lithuanian heritage certification. steel info: "After the tempering process the steel reaches a hardness of HRC 57-58"

Off the bat a nice wee set. The grind on the gouge and crook knife are perfect. The knife needs a little work to take a microbevel off the end though. They have a nice feel to them, though the handles are a bit big for my wee girly hands so I'll no doubt cut them down or fit new ones as I like to be able to choke up my tools as close to the cutting edge as I can.

I'll not know for sure until I start using them, so watch this space. They will come out each trip from now on so I'll try and review them (albeit as an inexperienced wood worker) in the coming months.

bbcc580d6e6b84d9a2d757d6cf2496cf.jpg
985a4bd98fbe94ccf20791075ba3fb08.jpg
69ac2dd9f19507a4d29de412409c5ed1.jpg
e00e05149e6cf62d5fd462144e386210.jpg
8ef88afc07652c44326d153b544a6b8a.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm. Interesting :D

Christmas is a coming, and I need presents for a lot of menfolks. Do you have a link Hamish ?

atb,
M

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Toddy
there is an Ebay link imbedded in Hamish's post. Wayne did a great review on these tools and lots of members seem to like them have added them to my xmas list :)
Hmmm. Interesting :D

Christmas is a coming, and I need presents for a lot of menfolks. Do you have a link Hamish ?

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Chas; I totally missed the link. I've been upgraded to a new laptop and everything's a different shade :eek: I didn't even see the colour change.

atb,
M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
For the sake of a beginner, gifted this set, is there any instruction for sharpening?
The spoon knife: bevel inside or outside? If the hardness holds up, I can't fault the price.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
For the sake of a beginner, gifted this set, is there any instruction for sharpening?
The spoon knife: bevel inside or outside? If the hardness holds up, I can't fault the price.

I've had a closer look at these now and have just rehandled an axe using the gouge and knife to remove material to fit the head. The gouge is a real beast i'm impressed really comfortable to use and edge is holding up well against seasoned ash. The knife i'm not so keen on tbh, I feel like it could be a little shorter for a whittler, and feels a little flimsy. I've not had a chance to use the crook knife yet but it does look like it's been bevelled mostly on the inside, but a ltitle on the outside too which means it may be a pita to sharpen time will tell, though i'll probably use the gouge the most as i find it to be the most useful and safest tool. No instructions, but i'll just be sharpening them with wet and dry paper and stropping so should be fine

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for your insights, I'm beginning to shop for Christmas and several winter birthdays, as well.

I was gifted a Mocotaugan crooked knife blade (Sheffield) of the design made for the Hudson's Bay Company and sold in the fur trade by 1750.
Some dumb bunny did the same = a bit of a bevel on the outside. Stupido.
Finally, I ground the whole thing down beyond the back bevel and started over to see 15 degrees. One-time chore but a chore it was.

Handle size. I use what Kestrel Tool uses = palm up, fist grip on the handle.
The tips of my second and third fingers should just touch the fat ball part of my thumb.
That's a handle blank of 7/8" inch for me. 1" is too big and 3/4" is an arthritic squeeze!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The crooked knife. You call it a spoon knife. Probably more versatile than that.

About 1/2 way around the sweep, how thick is that steel blade?
I'm trying to compare it with the Pacific Northwest style crooked knives,
many sweeps, and most of them 'seem' to be far thinner steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE