Markings on Silva tritium compasses?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

auscam

Feb 13, 2010
Australia
I was under the impression that all such compasses (from Silva, anyway) bear the circular black/yellow 'radioactive' symbol on the front LH corner of the baseplate. I ask because I've been sold (for top dollar) a 54/360/6400 which was listed as 'tritium', but which bears no such symbol.

The seller reckons it's tritium - I reckon not.

Anyone know?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Is the scale in Mils or degrees?Look at the base plate if it has a small luminous glass vial bonded in with resin it's tritium.... No vial and the slot is filled in with photolume paint.... Non tritium....If you're planning on doing lots of night nav without a torch then tritium is probably a reasonable idea if you can us a torch then the regular photolume version is fine....

Last edited:

auscam

Feb 13, 2010
Australia
Had another look; def. no vial present...I went for tritium specifically so I didn't have to use a torch. I thought the price was a little low. Not to worry, a PayPal claim is in train, and it may be an honest mistake by the seller...

edit; the scale's in both mils and degrees.

another edit; 'trefoil' eh? The best I could think of was 'roundel':)

Last edited:

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Now those Silva webpages are confusing....

Most of their compasses will just use luminova or super luminova, but they certainly do still use tritium (I think a tritium paint) on some models - the 54B for example. The 54B also has the radiation trefoil logo.

I don't think the No 4 linked to above uses tritium, despite the description saying it does. The description also says that it needs to be exposed to daylight or artificial light to activate the lume, which tritium doesn't. The reason why the military use tritium is that it doesn't need exposure to natural or artificial light beforehand.

I'm sticking to my luminova Ranger 15.

Cheers

auscam

Feb 13, 2010
Australia
I've emailed Silva Sweden for clarification, so if/when they reply, I'll post it here.

Edit; their reply; All of our tritium illuminated compasses are marked with the sticker that you mention, these are the ones named 4Bxxxx and 54Bxxx. If the compass is not marked then it might be illuminated using a “normal” fluorescent paint

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE