Marking bevels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well been having a play with making a knife and was wondering how people mark the bevels.
Doing a scandi and following a few different threads marked 2mm for every 1mm of thickness of blade which meant a 6mm line from the blade. Now I used a carpenters gauge (the name elludes me but it is the adjustable gauge with nail through wood) but struggled to see the marks very well.:rolleyes: Bit better marking it with a perm marker but if not careful rubs off.
Anyway only messing about but enjoyed the process but finding it difficult to get the bevels very level.......good fun though......oh pants I'll get the camera if you promise not to laugh....
Oh and I wasn't sure about the plunge line..... so I ermmm I didn't do one....
Anyway Its only a mess around to try out the process heat treating etc so just feeling my way

Great to work in metal (other than welding bits on the Pontiac!) seemed to have forgot how to use a file!

Poor pic's too dim in the kitchen.
Anyway tips would be great.
dave

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Yet another project eh Dave ? Fair play to you...you look well on the way. :notworthy I know tap all about it...it's always frightened me off. Why don't you ask on British Blades ?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I know tap all about it too obviously Stuart!!! Yeh I will do but I get bit scared on BB to many knife wielding peeps!
Will give you a call ref weekend?
You at Chetwind Park?
D

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
The Falconry Fair's OK but I might go to the Green Man Festival at Clun for a change as I've never been....

Geoff b

Apr 27, 2008
uk
Mark the blade with a marker, then scribe along it with a vernier,that way youl get a good scribe mark on the blade that is very visible, if the marker rubs of youve still got a nice scribe line.

PLUNGE; you need 2 flats of hardened steel with holes in,you clamp it on the knife and use it as a guide.
Hope this helps, ill dig out some pics if it makes it easier.

Cheers; geoff

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Geoff thanks pic's would be great if poss.Will have loads more dumb questions so get ready!
Falcon forgot the Green man was on tis meant to be really good, my mate went last year and is going this year. Should I give the show a miss then? £10 I could spend else where...if not away gonna stretch the legs Sunday if you fancy it(not staying out) Will give you a tinkle tomorrow (friday)
Dave

Geoff b

Apr 27, 2008
uk
This is how i did my plunge line when i first started out,these days i do them with the belt grinder, but if youre only making 1 or 2 this method works fine.
Get 2 pieces of 01 clamp them together and drill holes , making sure all edges are level before you start drilling.
Heat treat so thet are both hardend, clamp them across the blade and using a sharp file off you go.
Hope this helps.
Geoff.

hornet&

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE