Maritime knife - what materials?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with 440A steel. That's generally what diving knives are made of, it's a steel that will resist corrosion. Of course, it won't hold a decent edge, but the knives are usually a thick stock, and you can use them to pry objects. Also, I'd say go for a sheepsfoot blade.

Adam

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
leon-1 said:
The spine on Gene's knives generally are not brilliant for casting sparks from a firesteel, but I asked for about an inch and a half of straight cut file work on the spine which serves 2 purposes, firstly to solve the problem of casting sparks and secondly it gives a nice area of grip for resting your thumb on when the knife is cold wet and greasy. The straight cut file work is very efficient at casting sparks

You asked for filework on your #6 too?!? I feel so common now! :rolleyes:

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I use a Mora Clipper in stainless steel for sea kayaking. High quality - low cost. It and the Mora "training" knife are available in bright colours which is a bonus at sea.

G Obach

Dec 2, 2005
halifax
just my 2 cents...

i'm feeling that plain carbon and medium alloy tool steels are getting a bad rap here.... just wipe them down with a little veg oil... or linseed oil....
-- if its just a utility knife... mink oil works great.....

and don't worry if a little rust sets in..... the patina just adds character...

as for stainless knives.... no comment...... i like my knives to get sharp easily and stay sharp while cutting.......

. your O1 will hold a very keen edge and last.... .. it's probably one of the best if not the best for a knife steel...

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE