Marbles Hunter Axe No 9 questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Hi there
I might have found one of these and I have always wanted a double bit axe. Does anyone have any experience of this particular axe? Is it any good? What's the grind like?
Any experience would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
is it an original or a copy? will make a difference

not a fan of double bits myself - theres a technique to them I'm not that sure I'm comfortable with

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its rubbish - tiny, badly ground, too small a helve. It might just work if you are Barbie. Other than that? Forget it!

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Its rubbish - tiny, badly ground, too small a helve. It might just work if you are Barbie. Other than that? Forget it!

How does it compare size wise to your nessmuk red? Is it the diameter of the helve thats wrong?
And how much work would it take to sort out the grind?
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A third to a quarter of my Nessie....and a helve thinner than a marker pen (seriously). Its utter rubbish. The heat could be covered with half a playing card. I put mine up as a competition prize on here....the winner gave it away. Its truly dreadful!

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Was that teh older chinese one or the newer one from teh same factory that make Condor knives and stuff? all the reviews I have seen of the newer one rete it quite highly for a $20 hatchet, about £30 in real money.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I thought condor mate their stuff in el salvador?

Marbles stuff is made in the same factor as rough rider knives AFAIK

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Unless they've completely changed the design, its pointless.

Feel free to pay for this discovery though - I did :eek:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pretty damming YouTube video here. Caution some colourful language.

[video=youtube;mPZ0cHwcsuc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPZ0cHwcsuc[/video]

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Marbles axes are made in el salvador, it says so on there web site

I didn't know that thanks for the info

personally I'd avoid a double bit axe too much of a risk for me - would consider one of their pocket axes though....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why is it pointless ?

Because the head is tiny - too small for any real work, the handle is so thin that if you swung it with any real force you would hurt your hand - you can't baton it because its a double. It serves no logical purpose,

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Because the head is tiny - too small for any real work, the handle is so thin that if you swung it with any real force you would hurt your hand - you can't baton it because its a double. It serves no logical purpose,

Can you open the biscuits with it and cut salami?

rg598

Native
I generally stay from small double bit axes. Cruiser size is the smallest I would go in a double bit. A smaller head just doesn't provide enough metal in my opinion for proper head geometry. On a head that is six inches long, there is very little room for the eye and two cheeks with proper angle alignment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE