Marbles Camp Cleaver Mod

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Got this cleaver a few weeks ago, decided to mod it.

The Marbles Camp Cleaver the day I got it:

1.png

Fresh out of the stripper. Only took about an hour and a half with Citrustrip. Looks like hell at this point:

2.png

After some sanding on the handle and blade. If you noticed in the first photo, there's some edges where the flats on the side transition to the top and bottom. You know that's going to create some hot spots, so, I filed and sanded those out. Also, this doesn't have scales. It's one piece of pine, with a slit cut into it. The blade goes back just behind the 3rd pin. I made a tube of sandpaper, and sanded the edges off the slit. They felt like they pinched before, but not after sanding:

3.png

I never did like the handle shape. A pointed handle on a rounded blade made no sense to me, so, I cut the end off, and contoured it. I also made the spot where the forefinger goes on the handle go a little deeper, and more forward, to accomodate my hand size a little better, but also to get a better grip in general. Cleaned the lanyard tube out:

4.png

Ground on the blade a bit, so I could choke up on it more. I personally think it looked good stock, as the flow of the handle and blade worked good together, but, this is more functional. On the other hand, it does sort of go with the contour of the forefinger "groove" I made. Still contouring the handle more, and also got the paint out of the fullers:

5.png

Applied stripper yet again to the spots I couldn't get sanded off. Not sure what the deal is, but I still couldn't get some of it off. I said the hell with it, gonna be a user anyways. So I put a wood conditioner on it, and stained it a Red Mahogany color. And finally, sealed it with 3 coats of a clear satin polyurethane:

6.png

Tried a mustard, and apple vinegar patina, but didn't care for the results, and sanded it off. I ended up doing a vinegar splatter patina. Good enough for now at least:

7.png

Finally, added a leather lanyard and beads:

8.png

Regular grip:

9.png

You can see the "notch" I ground to be able to choke up:

10.png

Choked up grip:

11.png

Random shots:

12.png

13.png

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

18.png

Darkened in the "Marbles" logo with a black sharpie. Didn't hide it completely, but muted it a bit. You can compare it with the first photo above. I definitely think a leather sheath would look better with it now:

19.png

Another fun project. Really enjoyed modding this one.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
What a result!
That really was a bit of a bushpig in the beginning but I found myself softening towards it by the time you had got it well made over. It does look capable of pretty much any camp task including digging the latrine!
Good job bud.
Cheers , Simon

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
What a result!
That really was a bit of a bushpig in the beginning but I found myself softening towards it by the time you had got it well made over. It does look capable of pretty much any camp task including digging the latrine!
Good job bud.
Cheers , Simon

Thanks. I was kinda on again, off again about the design, but liked it after modding. They're only $23 shipped, so I wouldn't have felt too bad if I would have messed it up.

Last edited:

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I would say that was a modification well executed. You have transformed it from something that looked a bit 'tacky' to a beautiful tool. Maybe a nice leather sheath would really finish it off ? Well done !

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
looks much better! how does it actually chop/hack?

goes to show what a little elbow grease can achieve! ;)

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
Thanks guys, appreciated.

I would say that was a modification well executed. You have transformed it from something that looked a bit 'tacky' to a beautiful tool. Maybe a nice leather sheath would really finish it off ? Well done !
Would like to get a leather sheath for it, but honestly, a little hard to justify the expense of leather for a $23 blade.

looks much better! how does it actually chop/hack?

goes to show what a little elbow grease can achieve! ;)
No idea, never used it, tbh. I watched a video on youTube when I was researching it, and it seemed to do okay. I live in the heartland of Illinois, the land of corn and beans. I have to drive 3 hours to get to the woods, so I don't get to do it often.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Yeah ! I see your point.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

Would like to get a leather sheath for it, but honestly, a little hard to justify the expense of leather for a $23 blade.

No idea, never used it, tbh. I watched a video on youTube when I was researching it, and it seemed to do okay. I live in the heartland of Illinois, the land of corn and beans. I have to drive 3 hours to get to the woods, so I don't get to do it often.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE