Maple Syrup time

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I will be going to an Iroquois reserve in a short while to pick up a blend of maple syrup and cranberry syrup, give it a slighly tart/spicy taste. Less sugary and good for your kidneys.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Don'tkillbill said:
It was bloody hard work doing the syrup. Managed 1.5 gallons and could easly gotten 3-4 but it took real work to keep a fire going as long as I did.... Ended up dumping some sap and cleaning up the taps after 2.5 weeks of collecting. I think the flu I had during the week had a lot to do with it. As much as I like my axe and fire I was tired of it... My fire was so hot I had heated up some railroad spike cherry red.... Maybe next year I'll do up syrup and make an axe.... Anyway I have lots of syrup for the year and may boil some of it down to make candy for my kids class. Pierre how hot to make candy and how do you make sugar ?

Three ways to make sugar. I'll describe the method I use most often. When your syrup is finished, keep heating it with a low controlled heat (on an electric or gas stove). Watch the syrup very closely. Test it, now and again, by taking a large spoonful (wooden stirring spoon) and turning it to the side and letting the syrup fall back into the kettle. When the syrup "sheets" as it drops back into the kettle - it is ready to pour into your mold. Once in the mold - let it set up.

There are more sientific ways to do this - with a candy thermometer, etc. - but I'm not very scientific.

Warning: You have to watch the syrup very closely - or you'll end up burning it and ruin the whole batch.

Molds can be made of wood, or plastic ones can be purchased. My home made molds are made from walnut and are about two inches across and an inch deep, but are rounded on the edges for easy release. The inside of the mold has to be sanded and finished like glass. I dab the inside with a touch of vegetable oil or butter before pouring in the congealing syrup.

Far as I know, maple sugar candy is just maple sugar. I believe some larger companies just add some sugar and other things and call it "maple sugar candy," but the real thing is just maple sugar.

for making sugar, you may want to do some filtering of your sap and finished syrup to get that nice light tan color. I never do, and my sugar comes out dark brown or even black. Tastes better, to my way of thinking, with a slightly smoky flavour.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE