Map Geek

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Been there :D and the maps turn up in the Muniment chest collections too.

If you can get into the map room of any of the University Libraries where the University has a Geology or Geography department, it's a marvellous, utterly wonderful and totally awesome place :D
I lost days in the map room at Glasgow Uni :oops:

M
Thanks for the tip; I'll have to check my local libraries!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Been there :D and the maps turn up in the Muniment chest collections too.

If you can get into the map room of any of the University Libraries where the University has a Geology or Geography department, it's a marvellous, utterly wonderful and totally awesome place :D
I lost days in the map room at Glasgow Uni :oops:

M

Oh, don't start on geological maps!!! They mean nothing to me, data presented in the fourth dimension, but my wife (a geologist) will pour over them for hours and insist on telling me what it all means :(

Reactions: Toddy

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Another map lover, think its partly down to being curious (or nosey as the wife calls me). If I see something I like to know what it is m, what its history is, and what's planned for the future. This is partially helped by my wife being a planning officer, we also live in times where its incredibly easy to get at information about what's going n around us, one of the joys of the internet. I so subscribe to the OS electronic maps, which I think are excellent, and I have an full set of out of date electronic OS maps on MM navigator.

An example is that I was out in the kayak a couple of weeks ago and found that a pub on the Medway (Anchor in Yalding) that's was always a bit rough closed a while ago, and some money is now being thrown at it. All planning apps are posted online so after a quick bit of searching (you can look at a map and click on the property, this gives access to the planning history and any current applications), this also turns up the historic report for the place, was surprised how old the original bit is, and its listed. They had also included proposed views of the building and some quiet a lot of other info, all quiet interesting, but something else popped up, in the site constraints was

Thurnham, Kent Thurnham Exclusion Zone Current
Thurnham, Kent Thurnham Exclusion Zone Current
MOD Safeguarding Directive Thurnham MOD Thurnham Current
MOD Safeguarding Directive Thurnham MOD Thurnham Current

Which seemed odd, never heard of MOD Thurnham. Although there was a big NATO comms system in the area, but that all went in the 80s
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/c/coldblow_ace_high/index.html

Bit more searching pulled up some comments on a history site concerning radar on a big gantry, operated by the Met Office
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/making-a-forecast/first-steps/observations/rainfall-radar

Finally looks like this is what the restrictions are about. Might go and have a look at the radar at some point.

PS heres the planning app
http://pa.midkent.gov.uk/online-app...do?activeTab=constraints&keyVal=ODSR4DTYLXI00

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh, don't start on geological maps!!! They mean nothing to me, data presented in the fourth dimension, but my wife (a geologist) will pour over them for hours and insist on telling me what it all means :(

The Victorian mineral maps of the UK are wonderful resources though. All that good stuff, just there underfoot. From sulphur to flint .....prime bushcrafting material :D

Reactions: Broch

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Another map lover here, loved pouring over them from an early age, mainly looking for historical sites. I do occasionally look at electronic maps but I much prefer the tactile nature of paper :)
This thread has reminded me that I've got a load of large flat sheets that I originally got to use as wallpaper somewhere. Things changed and they got stashed somewhere, I'm going to have to go and find them now.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs

If you go on the British Geological Society website and find the geoindex map, you can bring up different layers of information. I agree with you that the false colours from the fourth dimension can be baffling, so my trick is to add a terrain layer called hillshade which makes the terrain look 3d. Then add the bedrock geology but change the transparency of the layer to tone down the garish colours. Then look for a favourite place and you will see the familiar terrain but coloured with the geology that it's built with.

Z

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Belland lane is just up the road from me, Belland is poisonous gas from lead smelting, so yeah, "poison gas lane", which is nice.

Only a letter different!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/s...-end-do-rude-street-names-affect-house-prices

I used to live not far from Battery Park in Brum. I had always assumed that the name had something to do with artillery - there was a pub called the Gun Barrels nearby. But from the info board that went up when they redeveloped the site, it turned out that there used to be a factory there where they used to “batter” copper and other metals into saucepans!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE