Map case recommendations.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I have tried a couple of variations for carrying OS explorers around but none so far are very nice to be honest. tried the cheap ones first but now willing to spend a bit more on a good one.
Tried :
Ortlieb mapcase - which is ok but no where to put pens and compass and bits.

Nato Mapcase Black from unknown manufacturer - is just too big and takes a while to open up and fold again. Don't like the look of the material.

Silva All round map case - This is better but the pen holders don't work, and my compass doesnt fit in the pocket , also feels cheap (like it won't last very long).

So I am looking for a case about the same size as the Silva with similar features.
Pen holders that work, compass (exped 4) storage, pad storage, a bit of space for leaflets and bits, waterproof.

http://www.silva.se/templates/Produ...5-3A81-4E90-8BB0-8069454AD950}&epslanguage=EN

http://www.mapsworldwide.com/sku_29204.htm

Thanks

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Or just buy a cheap ziplock case from W H Smith and throw it away when it wears out ( which takes far longer than you would expect) and keep pens compas etc somewhere else. It has trhe advantage of being light, cheap and small enough to stuff in a pocket or down smock for regular consultation.
I switched to this system years ago and am amazed at how well it works.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I have a large Alok-sak i could use, I like the idea of that but if i could i'd try an all in one solution again.
Are the ziplocks similar material to Alok-sak, like rubber rather than plastic/vinyl?

I ruined a ortlieb mapcase by writing on it with permanent lumocolour, where as the silva cases window can be written on and cleaned with autosol. That's why i would go down the plastic/vinyl window rather than the rubber type if you see what i mean.

what pen compass/case do you recommend, I use to have a Black horse zip case for note book and pens but unfortunately lost it. Tried a Arktis note book cover and that fell apart.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I only buy the pre laminated maps these days. The price difference pays for itself as the maps last a lot longer. They offer lots of advantages over paper -
they don't rip or tear in the wind, you can write on them with a chinagraph pencil.

As a result, I don't use a map case anymore, just carry my pad / pencil in the top pocket of my sac, with the compass in a pouch on my hip belt.

HTH

Simon

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Greg i think the infantry version of your mapcase would be good, looks like a better version of the silva and for the price i can afford to give it try anyway...so ordering one soon.

cheers

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Greg i think the infantry version of your mapcase would be good, looks like a better version of the silva and for the price i can afford to give it try anyway...so ordering one soon.

cheers

I've had my one for over 12yrs now and the only problem I have found is the clip snapped on me on Tuesday! I hope it works for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE