Map and compass course at Giants Seat in Radcliffe (near bolton)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi Guys

As many of you will know we have been running meets at giants seat for getting on a year now, we have been doing this under the guise of the Greater Manchester Bushcraft Group or G.M.B.G. and some of you are even members of the group.

We have a great relationship with the scout group that own the land and would like to improve the site for our continued use. With that in mind we have been thinking about buying group kit i.e. large shelters that can be used to keep groups dry around the fire etc.

To fund this we were thinking about putting on a map and compass course over a weekend in November probably the 16th-18th.

The weekend would consist of turning up on the Friday night eating a communal meal (more info below), then getting an early start on the saturday. The day would include a comprehensive instructor led course (led by Alan Lancashire - aka The Ratcatcher on here) with sections on map signs and topography, learning how to use a compass, how to navigate with map and compass etc. There would then be another communal meal Saturday evening and then on Sunday we would be looking to do a short orienteering challenge with a prize going to the winners of the challenge.

As far as the communal meals go we were thinking that we would provide meals for the weekend and are open to suggestions as to the content

I was thinking

Friday

Evening meal - Chilli and Rice

Saturday

Breakfast - Porridge/cereal

Lunch - Bacon Butties

Evening Meal - Hot Pot

Sunday

Breakfast - Full English

Lunch - Bacon Butties

This will be included in the price of the course.

As far as price goes it will depend on numbers but we were thinking about £35-£40, as far as numbers go we would need at least 10 people, with a max of 20. The course will be held in the scout lodge and you will be sleeping in the lodge too.

There are dorms that hold 4 people per room and a leaders room that holds 2.

The postcode for the camp for those of you that haven't been before is "Edited out"

So who would be interested?

Thanks for Reading

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
You could sleep away from the lodge, price would be the same though.

And the only reason we suggested sleeping in the lodge is to avoid the time consuming stuff like camp admin, gathering wood etc.

Of the evening we will more than likely be having a communal fire, in a half oil drum near the hut.

Ive got 3 people interested so far so keep the names coming chaps, the sooner the better so i can book the lodge.

Thanks

Dave

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You could sleep away from the lodge, price would be the same though.

And the only reason we suggested sleeping in the lodge is to avoid the time consuming stuff like camp admin, gathering wood etc.

Of the evening we will more than likely be having a communal fire, in a half oil drum near the hut.

Thats cool, would be happy to pay the same, your paying for the course :) Hope it goes ahead and you do another one so I can go.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
List so far is

DaveBromley
Stan (mate of mine)
Freedom
Anzia
MentalNurse (carl) dependent on work

We need at least 10 for this to be viable the more the merrier though.

Is there anyone else interested?

Dave

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I missed this previously hence me not just pulling it, so that i've got this straight, you're using bcuk to organise a course that makes money so your group can buy kit? If this is right did one of the Mods/Admin give permission for it to happen? Any courses etc that go through bcuk go through mods and or admin.

You've also got two threads running on the same thing in different forums.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
The only issue is there is a set curriculum mate, the course will start at about 10am(tbc) and the rest of the course is based on the stuff learned in the morning.

If you can guarantee you'll be there for the start time i've got no issue with you rocking up on the day of the course.

What time were you thinking of getting there Bri?

Dave

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Bump, cos I'm really keen for this to go ahead ;)

So far, it looks like we've got:

DaveBromley
Stan
Freedom
Anzia
persistent king (TBC)
drewdunnrespect (TBC)

Anyone else up for this? 10 people needed...

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I will be cancelling this unfortunately chaps

I'm a bit gutted tbh as it didnt get the response i was hoping for. I'll organise another one next year maybe late spring time and give people more notice.

That should improve the numbers

Sorry to disappoint all concerned, was looking forward to this myself

Dave

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Might be that many peoples map & compass skills are already good... I used to teach it in the mob to Junior soldiers so I have enough "Map to grid" to last me a lifetime :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE