Mangled and abused words and phrases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm sorry, but I win! This lunchtime - and I swear I am not making this up - I saw a Range Rover driven by a woman with the reg no:

M1 NGE

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not enough to argue over really. The way the world economy is going I expect we'll all have to learn Chinese soon enough.

And FWIW I still spell it "sulpher" and "grey."

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
English is too well-established as the international language to be replaced by Mandarin or Spanish.

Favourite number play was seen driving away from Newbury Races "LAY 6P".

groundhog

May 25, 2005
Manchester
A Frenchman whose name I can't remember now once said that the reason the sun never set on the British Empire was that God didn't trust an Englishman in the dark

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Works both ways though. I still cain't stomache the Englishization of "catsup" into "ketchup."

I do like etymology :D ...

Probably Malay kicap, fish sauce, possibly from Chinese (Cantonese) k
emacr.gif
-chap, equivalent to Chinese (Mandarin) qié eggplant + Chinese (Mandarin) zh
imacr.gif
, sap, gravy.

Word History: The word ketchup exemplifies the types of modifications that can take place in borrowing both of words and substances. The source of our word ketchup may be the Malay word k
emacr.gif
chap,
possibly taken into Malay from the Cantonese dialect of Chinese. K
emacr.gif
chap,
like ketchup, was a sauce, but one without tomatoes; rather, it contained fish brine, herbs, and spices. Sailors seem to have brought the sauce to Europe, where it was made with locally available ingredients such as the juice of mushrooms or walnuts. At some unknown point, when the juice of tomatoes was first used, ketchup as we know it was born. But it is important to realize that in the 18th and 19th centuries ketchup was a generic term for sauces whose only common ingredient was vinegar. The word is first recorded in English in 1690 in the form catchup, in 1711 in the form ketchup, and in 1730 in the form catsup. All three spelling variants of this foreign borrowing remain current.

So, whether it's ketchup or catsup*, it's been taken from its root and then mangled and abused by some Johnny-come-lately's to fit their own purpose(s) ;).

* Surely catsup is a method of hydration employed by felines? :dunno: :eek:

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I do like etymology :D ...

So, whether it's ketchup or catsup*, it's been taken from its root and then mangled and abused by some Johnny-come-lately's to fit their own purpose(s) ;).

* Surely catsup is a method of hydration employed by felines? :dunno: :eek:

Funny but the sauce described there seems more like the history I was taught for worcetershire sauce. Catsup has never contained fish sauce here. For that matter it's very name (the alternate name anyway) "Sauce American" with a French pronuciation would indicate it was invented here.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
And we are fond of a condiment called 'Ketjap Manis' An Indonesian sort of caramelised soy sauce which is where I understood the name Ketchup came from.

So it is looking as if it was an eastern sauce of some kind, tasty.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
English is too well-established as the international language to be replaced by Mandarin or Spanish.

Favourite number play was seen driving away from Newbury Races "LAY 6P".

And during the height of the Roman Empire Greek was the international trade lanquage (oddly, not Latin) Today English is the established international language because first the British Empire and later (after WWII) the American influence made and kept it so. However if we are replaced by China (or any country other than an English speaking one) that will likely change as it has repeatedly throughout history.

Ironic that you mentioned Spanish as that language (being probably the even more geographically widespread) has also evolved into several different dialects. One of those, Puerto Ricam, is a definit American (or Anglican) Spanish; not just words but more notablt rules of grammar or different in Puerto Rico than the rest os the Spanish speaking world.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
And we are fond of a condiment called 'Ketjap Manis' An Indonesian sort of caramelised soy sauce which is where I understood the name Ketchup came from.

So it is looking as if it was an eastern sauce of some kind, tasty.

Is that the one made from bananas like the Philipine one?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE