Mangled and abused words and phrases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Folk saying, "sumbarine" and "chimley" do it for me.

Oh, and "sumpfink" and "nuffink". Would you like me to poke you in the eye with my finker?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
For Christ's sake, get over yourselves. Languages evolve and always have done, both in pronunciation and meaning. The English you're speaking today would likely make Shakespeare turn in his grave. And many of the Finnish words I use today, would be unintelligible to a Finn 50 years ago.

PS But I have to agree that the constant use of "tactical" turns my toes red. :lmao:

Very good point. :) Like, totally awzum point! :lmao:

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
"in terms of" for example "expert in terms of badgers" rather than "a badger expert". What it really means is "I didn't think about this sentence before I started it"

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
the best one I ever heard was Michael Burke and his programme 999 - on which he stated.
"Saved from certain death"

Well sorry - but if it was certain death then, no, they wouldn't have been saved from it.

Awesome huh? (Kepis?) :D

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Almost as good as the one on the news the other days Mike " a very fatal accident", i thought fatal was well, fatal, didn't realise there was more than one version?.

Michael Burke is a legend;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I first saw the word mask being used here on BCUK for an axe sheath, I had no idea what you were talking about. :p Let's face it, you guys talk weird. :lmao:

They talk weird!? I've seen several people here in the states who wear a mask when the "axe" da cashier to "Gimme all da money in da registah hoe!

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
They talk weird!? I've seen several people here in the states who wear a mask when the "axe" da cashier to "Gimme all da money in da registah hoe!

perfect example of differences between english english and american english, over here they'd axe da cashier to gimme all da money in da til hoe!

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
I just read and contributed to a thread on YouTube rubbish and it started me thinking about words and phrases which by being mangled and/or abused in everyday language or speech. (NOTE: This thread is not about incorrect spelling although personally this does irritate me too). I set out two examples below.

Tactical - appears on ever increasing numbers of outdoor kit to be used by non-soldiers
Organic - seen this used instead of vegetable

Any other gems?

Alan
This is - techincally - of course correct. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE