Making your own pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Just throwing some fancy ideas around my head and wondered if anyone has done something similar. Earlier this year I started to work with a mountain rescue team and one thing did become quickly apparent to me, for this type of work much of my gear was not ideal. While good boots, jackets & trousers are pretty much universal to this work and hiking, things like packs etc have different expectations and demands to other activites.

For a pack when out on my own if going heavy I tend to use a molle style pack simply as it happily fits my ocd nature of wanting things exactly where they belong. I have been thinking about getting a 5.11 rush 72 pack along with then using many of my maxpedition pouches for a permanent MR setup, however this has a few problems, firstly I have never been able to get a modular setup to really sit snug. No matter how well you fix things on there is always a little movement and I guess this is simply inherit in the system, but for MR work it can become annoying. Secondly is colour design, obviously for MR work we like things that are easily seen from a long distance and for the group I work with we tend to stick with red for our clothing and then high-vis covers over packs. Pretty much all molle style gear is coloured so that you can remain stealthy during the zombie invasion.

This has me wondering if perhaps I might be better making my own personal pack from scratch. I know of plenty of suppliers of pu coated 1000d cordura, and all the extras needed. I can get it in a nice red and easily get materials to make up a bright rain cover too. My sewing skills are not the greatest but I had thought I could make this a fairly long project and take things slowly. Plus I could have a modular setup but still have it made as one complete bag and add compression straps for pockets not being used.

So I have seen numerous versions of bushcraft style packs or leather packs that have been expertly crafted, but has anyone ever tried to make something similar to retail products using modern materials? If so how did it work out for you and were there any major issues with your production? Most fabric suppliers state that these materials can be sewn using domestic machines but is that a realistic option or would I need to think about getting something like an old hand crank singer?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I've made packs from canvas and leather, but only hand sewn. I can't imagine a nylon pack made with a sewing machine being any more difficult, and probably a bit easier. I once sewed a few bits of nylon webbing on a domestic machine for a project. Now, bear in mind this was my only time ever using a sewing machine, but it was simple enough, the stitches were strong and it worked fine for its intended purpose.

That being said, I would advise you try go to a bricks and mortar shop that stock a good range of Maxpedition stuff. I don't think you could make a stronger pack in that style for anywhere near the price they are, and many of their packs are now available in bright colours, specifically for people like you. Unfortunately I don't know of any shops like that in N.I.
From personal experience I can recommend the Maxpedition Condor II, and the Jumbo LEO Versipack. While I don't necessarily like the look of them, I really can't argue with their practicality and build quality. The Condor II has a chest and waist strap so can be made to fit snugly easily. Some have said it doesn't suit taller, slimmer people, but I'm a skinny 6'1" and I've used this pack on hikes, hunts and climbs and it has stayed put, even with a rifle strapped on the side.
I've noticed they do some internal frame packs too, which might be worth a look. I don't have personal experience of them though, so can't recommend them.

Their Falcon II seems to come in some really bright colours and opens flat, which I imagine would be useful for you: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FALCON-II-BACKPACK-3p110.htm

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just throwing some fancy ideas around my head and wondered if anyone has done something similar. Earlier this year I started to work with a mountain rescue team and one thing did become quickly apparent to me, for this type of work much of my gear was not ideal. While good boots, jackets & trousers are pretty much universal to this work and hiking, things like packs etc have different expectations and demands to other activites.

For a pack when out on my own if going heavy I tend to use a molle style pack simply as it happily fits my ocd nature of wanting things exactly where they belong. I have been thinking about getting a 5.11 rush 72 pack along with then using many of my maxpedition pouches for a permanent MR setup, however this has a few problems, firstly I have never been able to get a modular setup to really sit snug. No matter how well you fix things on there is always a little movement and I guess this is simply inherit in the system, but for MR work it can become annoying. Secondly is colour design, obviously for MR work we like things that are easily seen from a long distance and for the group I work with we tend to stick with red for our clothing and then high-vis covers over packs. Pretty much all molle style gear is coloured so that you can remain stealthy during the zombie invasion.

This has me wondering if perhaps I might be better making my own personal pack from scratch. I know of plenty of suppliers of pu coated 1000d cordura, and all the extras needed. I can get it in a nice red and easily get materials to make up a bright rain cover too. My sewing skills are not the greatest but I had thought I could make this a fairly long project and take things slowly. Plus I could have a modular setup but still have it made as one complete bag and add compression straps for pockets not being used.

So I have seen numerous versions of bushcraft style packs or leather packs that have been expertly crafted, but has anyone ever tried to make something similar to retail products using modern materials? If so how did it work out for you and were there any major issues with your production? Most fabric suppliers state that these materials can be sewn using domestic machines but is that a realistic option or would I need to think about getting something like an old hand crank singer?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

I have made numerous packs over the years, all sewn on domestic (but strong) machines. My old Newhome (now sadly deceased) coped well with up to 3 layers of webbing and had no issues at all with Cordura. My newer Husquavarna Rose is more of a lightweight embroidery machine but will still cope with 2 layers of webbing.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Thanks for the help there, I have looked at other maxpedition stuff but it is simply too small for the money. For this work I need a total pack size of around 60 -80 litres with the ability to have perhaps another 5ish made from pockets & pouches. The only molle style things that even come close to the pack size end up with prices in the £140+ area which is crazy for what they are.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
What kind of packs do the more experienced team members use?

Most use standard top loading packs suited for hiking. Depending on each persons choice and wallet size these can be something fairly cheap to some of the high end brands. But I just can get on well with the top load design, my only pack that fits that method is a 25lt omm pack which I use for lightweight marathons so it has no layering inside. Anything larger than 45lt and I start to move to a clam shell style design with separate sections and pockets.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I've made packs, originally because it was in the 1960s, I couldn't afford to buy anything and most kit was made for tall men rather than short women. The sewing isn't difficult although I would recommend a sewing machine rather than hand sewing. Get hold of some Kobanor similar commercial thread, it's far better than the ordinary threads sold in haberdashers. I've done one with a stiffened back using a sheet of flexible plastic, the idea being mainly that things don't poke you through the fabric. You still need to pack carefully however. Another, I used closed cell foam from an old sleep mat to make pads at shoulder and hip which left a little ventilation in the middle. Both worked well.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Most use standard top loading packs suited for hiking. Depending on each persons choice and wallet size these can be something fairly cheap to some of the high end brands. But I just can get on well with the top load design, my only pack that fits that method is a 25lt omm pack which I use for lightweight marathons so it has no layering inside. Anything larger than 45lt and I start to move to a clam shell style design with separate sections and pockets.

I wish you luck with this and hope you take some photos of the process and post them here.

The biggest issue I see is in trying to create a comfortable back system, it can be done but I imagine that it will be tricky to do. I'd be tempted to buy a quality S/H pack that does fit and use that as something to copy and work from.

I have been out in quite a few Scottish winters and the issue you are likely to find with the modular system you are thinking about is snow buildup, it can be bad enough on a pack with clean lines, one with pouches will act like glue. A really good rain cover might help but then again I have seen the tightest and toughest of those ripped clean off by the wind.

Good luck anyway, keep us posted.

:)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I wish you luck with this and hope you take some photos of the process and post them here.

The biggest issue I see is in trying to create a comfortable back system, it can be done but I imagine that it will be tricky to do. I'd be tempted to buy a quality S/H pack that does fit and use that as something to copy and work from.

I have been out in quite a few Scottish winters and the issue you are likely to find with the modular system you are thinking about is snow buildup, it can be bad enough on a pack with clean lines, one with pouches will act like glue. A really good rain cover might help but then again I have seen the tightest and toughest of those ripped clean off by the wind.

Good luck anyway, keep us posted.

:)

I'm inclined to agree with Sandbender. Have you considered the 'Rescue Load' also? I carry about 35-45 litres of kit on a normal training day (depending on time of year & what I'm doing) but add some med kit, ropes, anchor systems & you can easily double that and the weight. I understand your frustration in trying to get kit that works effectively in the MR environment however.

Aiguille Alpine or Lyon Equipment might be able to make you a bespoke pack. Their both based in the Lake District & do a lot of kit for MR to a very high standard.

A lot of the fun of making a rucksack, I think, comes from creating something unique rather than trying to beat the mass producers at their own game.
Firstly try using material that you haven't paid for! Old leather sofa, a wrecked nylon tent or even an old tarp then start simple and work your way up to what you specifically need.
464ef2080f40f9b6351cfa37bdb729c4.jpg
dc7075b96c8aa26953e759f7ff0b4c4e.jpg
b170d824b6a02c86c1781248b7c5c349.jpg
28623b0c5633573a221e21313bcbdcb8.jpg

These are from sofas, curtains and bicycle inner tubes, not complicated but handmade and, er... unique!

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
For Mountain Rescue work you are going to need a large pack that can carry your personal kit plus rescue gear, climbing gear, medical etc. You will have to haul it in the very worst conditions over very long distances. Making a pack that is very heavy and leaks like a sieve because of all the MOLLE/PALS webbing and stitching and zips everywhere is not a good starting point.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
As others have mentioned, you might one to reconsider and buy an existing pack for MR call outs. As Limaed said, when you add team kit you'll want a 60-80l pack, I can get by with a 50l but it's a push and my personal kit gets smaller. One item I find invaluable is a vest or ribz front pack for most used and small to hand items like nav kit, gps, hand torch, barrier tape, etc which helps the weight balance.
As you'll find yourself thrashing around in all types of weather and probably environment, depending on your patch, I'd recommend a tough fabric build like cordura. Gorse searches are amazing for kit testing! Not sure how much a bespoke pack will cost but I'd defo shop around first, I know a few lads who have several packs depending on the search area but I think that's a bit ott on the wallet!
Wisport packs are good even though they are molle but it does have its uses for segregating kit for access.
Horses for courses, you pay your money and all that - I guarantee you'll change packs like the weather once you get past 12 months!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE