Making tent footprints.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having just seen the prices for the factory footprints for the tent I have and the one that's in the post I am thinking of making my own.

Currently I don't have any material, like the floor of a old tent, to recycle, so whats a robust and cost effective material to use, please? Weights not a big concern as they would be used only when camping from a car, for backpacking I'd do without to save weight.

I'm fairly adept at sewing and herself can machine a tidy seam, I've the bits for putting in various sizes of eyelet, should I want to and plenty of tape and elastic should I want to make loops.

From a bit of surfing I know to make the things a couple of inches smaller than the ground sheet so not to funnel water between the two but is their any other advice folks can give me?

I'll be making them for a Terra Nova Solar 2 ( the old one ) and a Wild country Coshee 3.

atb

Tom

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Yup that type of tarp will do in my experience. It doesn't need to be a handmade wonder. It's just to help protect the groundsheet. Cut to fit-job done.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for the input folks. my materials problems have been solved by the generosity of friends who have given me various cheepo kids tents, a car cover, a ground sheet and even a old, pole less Wild Country Mountain Quasar. The outer, with snow valances, is very sun bleached and brittle where seam sealer has gone off, to be honest I wouldnt trust it but the inners still in good nick except some seams nead sealing where the tapes gone off. To be honest that bits a bit good to chop up, if any one needs it drop us a line.

The Coshee 3 is in transit so when it arrives ( tomorow i hope) Ill get on with making the footprint. I'll do the other when Ive seen how much I need for the Coshee's.

ATB

Tom

Anyroad

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Some one wants the quasar to give it a new lease of life so that will be posted off as soon as I can, good luck with that project!

off to play with the Coshee 3 that just arrived.

atb

tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE