Making more jam!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Despite my 23 jars on the shelves my jam making addiction took over again today!
In the cut price section of my local store were a punnet of strawberrys another of raspberries and also some blueberries. How could I resist making my favourite jam?
I also used jam sugar for the first time and I found it so quick to get to setting point I'm gonna use it all the time from now on. I call this jam "forest fruit jam" as all these three fruits can be found in my local woods. Providing you can spend a whole day walking and picking. It's totally delicious and I'm going to have to make some bread to go with it.
I was also given some blackcurrants today so tomorrow I'm going to have a go at blackcurrant curd. I regularly make lemon curd and use it on my cheesecakes. I don't see why I can't use a different fruit in a curd so I will have a go. Anyone ever done this? Tips? Recipes?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In my next life, I think I will marry you!

(at least 'cohabit')

Preserve making is a wonderful way to get healthy food affordably, but getting forgotten.
I blame todays schools.

Yes, I think that jam is called " Forest Fruits' all over Europe. The Best.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Pah!!!!! Only 23 jars. When you can't reach any kitchen worksurface/microwave/kettle etc without moving haphazardly stacked jars on on the floor (as the larder, shelves, cuboards are all full), then you might have the beginnings of a problem :):). Not all jam to be fair, but just waiting for the blackberries to appear. and growing our own blueberries as well this year. AND i really can't wait to our annual trip up north for lingon berries.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well actually you can't see my worktops either for kilner jars and other stuff. It's only the jam on the shelves as the various colours look so good and it shows them off to the best. I also have my brews on top of the fridge freezer. The cordials are taking up the fridge door space. Pickles are on the worktops and also several projects cover the kitchen table. Homemade hair scrunchies are my latest project for the craft shop. But there are antler and wooden buttons waiting for their holes to be drilled. A tin lid waiting to be made into a lid for my crusader cup.... just finished some antler handle ferros and many other projects waiting completion. I need a woman cave! :)
Oh and there are 3 lamps on the floor waiting for some new wicks and other fettlings.

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yep, it's that time of year again :) The missus has literally just cleaned up after making a load of blackcurrant jam (my personal favourite :) ).

I adore blackcurrant jam too. Lovely with peanut butter in a sarnie. Or hot buttery crumpets. Try it!

Baggins do you just make jam with the blackberries? Try blackberry vinegar. I use white vinegar for that. Also try steeping some in balsamic vinegar. Very yummy as a salad dressing ingredient.

Reactions: Broch

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some jam would have been nice.
Last night, I sat in my kitchen and ate two BIG cranberry scones and drank a liter of milk.
I realize now that the the bready thing has to be warm/hot/toasted for satisfaction.

I'll make pancakes like chepati and try the suggested toppings tonight.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nah. You guys need to multi task.
Jam on one end, Nutella on the other. Double cream on top is what brings the smile...
The next one ( you should try this) is to drizzle Nutella, then put Lemon Curd all over.

That is the reason my wife calls me a pig.
:)

I told her years ago it was the Food Pyramid I was trying to make.
Essential fatty acids, fruit, cereal, carbohydrates....

I love crepes, pancakes....

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I tried Nutella once. An abomination which ruined both the nuts and the chocolate. Never again.
Charcutiere = food web.
Oh R V! Nutella is srumdidlylicious. !
Most times in my house it never makes it to the bread. A teaspoonfull straight into the mouth. :) yummy! But then I am a bit of a chocoholic.
Also delicious with peanut butter on toast.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
At the last camp down in the wood I introduced the guys to banana sliced lengthways, filled with Nutella, wrapped in foil and put on the fire; I couldn't believe none of them had ever tried it before.

Reactions: Woody girl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE