Making Fire (theory - I've not tested yet)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Right, like I state in the subject, I've not tested this, but it's collated information from sources on the web...

Ingredients:
a piece of flint, vaguely rod shaped,
a piece of marcasite, big enough to hit with the flint,
a piece of amadou or other tinder,
a small piece of wood to help support the marcasite.

Marcasite is a naturally occurring mineral, similar to iron pyrites (fools gold). The chemical composition is FeS2. It has been used for jewellery, so should be available from lapidarists.

The technique is to hold the piece of marcasite on the wooden base, with the tinder on the ground next to the base. Now, strike the marcasite with the flint. The flint being harder, it will stike big, hot, long-lasting sparks off the marcasite, which should fall on the tinder and set it alight. You should smell the distinctive sulphur odour of a struck match.

The rest, blowing the tinder and gradually adding bigger kindling, should be common knowledge...

Keith.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Keith_Beef said:
Right, like I state in the subject, I've not tested this, but it's collated information from sources on the web...

Ingredients:
a piece of flint, vaguely rod shaped,
a piece of marcasite, big enough to hit with the flint,
a piece of amadou or other tinder,
a small piece of wood to help support the marcasite.

Marcasite is a naturally occurring mineral, similar to iron pyrites (fools gold). The chemical composition is FeS2. It has been used for jewellery, so should be available from lapidarists.

The technique is to hold the piece of marcasite on the wooden base, with the tinder on the ground next to the base. Now, strike the marcasite with the flint. The flint being harder, it will stike big, hot, long-lasting sparks off the marcasite, which should fall on the tinder and set it alight. You should smell the distinctive sulphur odour of a struck match.

The rest, blowing the tinder and gradually adding bigger kindling, should be common knowledge...

Keith.

Put the tinder on the marcasite before you strike the flint, you want the sparks to catch as soon as possible as they are not very hot and cool very quickly. The closer the tinder the better your chances and the sparks will fly into the tinder better in that position.

M

Metala Cabinet

I've tried this and I can't seem to get any decent size sparks. It may just be my poor technique as I haven't had a lot of time to practice this. Would things improve if I scrape off some of the oxidised layer on the marcassite where I intend to strike it?

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I'm wondering if it makes any difference whether you use marcasite or pyrite?

BTW - can anyone suggest common objects that are the right type of steel for a flint and steel set - 9 inch nails or something like that?

Realgar

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Isn't marcassite just finer grained iron pyrites (fools gold)? I do know that the crystals of the pyrites you get from the local rock shop are too big for lighting fire this way because they'll just break off.
BTW this method of firelighting is at least 80,000 years old.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Marcasite is an allotrope - same chemical composition but totaly different atomic arrangement. I've got a chunk of pyrite formed of small crystals, it's resilient enough to use for striking but my quick couple of attempts just lead to skinned knuckles. I'll have a play with it.

Realgar

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
That helps to explain why I consistently came last in my chemistry class at school!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE