A long stroll in the Northern Chilterns...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Hallo folks. Nothing out of the ordinary here, just went for a stroll, as I often do in the Northern Chilterns... since I'm on here, I'd thought I'd share a day with you. Went out Yesterday, lovely day it was.

DSCF1635.jpg Steps Hill in the fore-ground, Ivinghoe Beacon in the back-ground.

DSCF1640.jpg Half way up Steps Hill.

DSCF1642.jpg Panoramic view of the Northern escarpment of the Chiltern Hills, from the top of Steps Hill.

DSCF1646.jpg Came across this old Oak, on the Bough extending out horizontal to the right of the main bole, I noticed one of these quirks of nature that always makes me smile... I hope you can pick it up on the next picture.

DSCF1645.jpg If you look close on the Bough hopefully you can discern a Fern & a Bramble taking root on the Bough. I like this curiosity, I see it often on old Oak.

DSCF1647.jpg These Hills are swathed in Flint, so I'd thought I'd stock up a couple of more pieces.

DSCF1650.jpg Primroses are out in force...

DSCF1682.jpg Plenty of Lesser Celandine are there to be had also, so I picked some of these.

DSCF1628.jpg Clocked this gregarious bunch of Southern Brackets in the base of a fallen Ash ( Ganoderma Australe). For those that don't know you can source a tinder from these... basically a substitute for the Amadou taken from Hoof Fungus ( Fomes Fomentarius). So I had one of these.

DSCF1631.jpg Beech tree doing what a Beech tree does... it's damnable best not to look like an average Beech tree.

DSCF1634.jpg Time for a Brew & a bite on me Pork Pie, sitting back on this horizontal Holly.

DSCF1652.jpg Kids've made a Den at the bottom of this Beech.

DSCF1648.jpg A vista..

DSCF1653.jpg Some views of the woodland...
DSCF1658.jpg
DSCF1660.jpg
DSCF1657.jpg

DSCF1656.jpg Was walking through the woodland, and in the distance I clocked a Birch with Brackets covering it... thought I might be in luck for some fresh Birch Polypore ( piptoporus betulinas ), but no... they were old and weather beaten.

DSCF1662.jpg I did though walk upon this magnificent beast of a tree... which was covered in Brackets.... as follows.

DSCF1669.jpg young fruiting bodies of Artist's Bracket (Ganoderma Aplanatum), never seen an artist's bracket this young before, so was happy to see it. Hopefully you can see where the new fruit body is growing from the remnants of the old bracket, which incidentally was laying on the floor underneath.

DSCF1670.jpg On the other side of the tree, there were more mature fruiting bodies... of what I am sure are Artist's Bracket.. they're still fairly young, and do not have the distinctive white underside you can draw on... I have taken a bracket to have a closer look. There was one more just above this one... in the next photo.
DSCF1674.jpg

DSCF1681.jpg I'll finish off with a carpet of Snowdrops I walked upon...

Cheers. All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE