Making bread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Home made oatcakes, you'll need an oven, however it may work well in large enough mess tin or cooking pot in the ashes of the morning fire.

Reflector oven should work too
Ingredients:

170g of oats

Are we talking rolled oats as in porridge? I have an oatcake recipie that calls for oat flour (and no wheat)...

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Check out the articles section. There's loads in there if you take a look.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Food-Cooking/Bannock.html

The first is about the best recipe you will need to make a simple bread outdoors. By adding stuff to it, you can make it sweet or keep it savoury, add chilli and cumin seeds to spice it up or add fruits or nuts to give it a totally different feel. You are only limited by your imagination, and not using the search function! :p

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I'm thinking I'll pre-mix the ingredients and store them (in a bag) inside the mess-tin for protection....I've also got some Nalgene containers (screw-cap) of various sizes for oil, salt, etc, so I'm sure they will be needed at some point..."

I pre-mix the dry ingredients for dampa and such before I set out, however I don't use Nalgene containers, I'm paranoid about the suggestion that Nalgene may adversly affect my health :eek:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Maybe not the easiest recipe for when your out and about, lots of energy from these though :D

Ingredients:

225g flour
5g baking powder
85g sugar
85g butter
85g currents
one egg
a small amount of milk​

Method:

Put flour and sugar in a bowl.
Rub in butter.
Mix in currents.
Mix to a stiff dough with beaten egg and a little milk.
Place in rough heaps on greased baking sheet.
Bake in HOT OVEN for 20 minutes.​

rock_cakes.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE