Making bread?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I was watching ray mears (going back a bit) make a bread in the ashes of a fire just didn't give measurements

Any 1 know how to make bread on the go plus possible storage solutions for what your carrying?

Thanks for the help

I got a bannock one from Mungo's website if that's any good to you ? Not exactly measurments just handfuls and pinches of stuff which is fine when your out and about. Carry it around pre-mixed (dry) in a ziploc bag then make up when at camp.:D

Andy

found this recipe through google for an Australian Dampa (look tasty) thanks smarvell

http://www.aussiethings.biz/australian_dampa.html

This entry would not be complete with out the Damper recipe:

Ingredients

* 2 cups self-rising flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup milk or Beer

Optional:

* 2 tespoons sugar
* 3 tablespoons butter

Says to cook it on the ashes of a fire.

theres a couple realy good bannock recipe's on the forum that i wouldn't mind giving a go plus a found this website

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/practical-guides/how-to-make-wild-bannock-bread/

You will need:

* 3 old metal mugs of flour
* 2 old metal mugs of milk powder
* 1 tsp of baking powder
* 1 tsp sugar
* 1 old metal mug of water
* + nuts/berries/etc
* Olive oil.
* One large pan/cooking pot.

Method:

* Firstly get a good campfire established, ideally a bed of hot embers with no flame.
* Put a little olive oil in your frying pan/cooking pot and place on the embers to heat up.
* Add a cup of water to your dry ingredients and mix well together. (Being in a ziplock bag saves you having to carry a mixing bowl.)
* Add your seasonal fruits/nuts/berries. (June is the best month to find the sweetest wild strawberries along the woodland path).
* Once everything is mixed together, flatten the dumpling-like creation and place on the hot oil. (I find that it is important that the thickness of the bread is an inch and no more: anything thicker and it will end up being uncooked inside and very burnt on the outside.)
* Fry the bread for about 7 minutes on each side until golden.
* Once cooked, break the bread with your hands, but watch out as the bread will be very hot.
* And finally, don’t be tempted to use a knife to cut the bread as this will bring bad luck!

and thats that I'm going to give it a try

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Kai,
Bannock, damper or stick bread can be as simple as flour and water, or as exotic as you are willing to try. Suet, milk powder, baking powder, nuts, fruits and pepperami or similar are often favourites but try a few before diciding which you like.

As to storage, not sure what you're after - if its not in the rucksack, clothes get hung on branches, boots upturned on sticks, other stuff is likely to be in use.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Ray Mears has made, or filmed one of his camp staff, making bread, by building a mid sized wood fire, (started if I remember right with a cup of petrol/kerosene) then once the fire is all embers. Scraping the embers off the ground and placing two loaf tins where the fire had been, then covering them with a large pot, pulling the embers back around it and a couple of shovel full on top, it took if I remember half an hour to forty minutes. You can bake bread in the Dutch oven, though I have yet to try it.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
For those that like sweet bannock try the Tesco Value sponge mix, cooked open it doesn't rise and comes in small pre packed packages for about 18p each. It's quick, half palatable and very convenient.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I usually carry a packet of "bread mix" from Morrisons (other supermarkets are available!). You just add water, mix to a dough, knead for a bit and leave to rise in a warm place next to the fire. I have tried cooking in a billy, but it does tend to stick and burn, so now I just take a "sausage" of dough and wrap it round a stripped stick. The stick is put over the fire (embers are best) and turned until the outside has gone crusty. Just pull the stick out of the middle and you are left with a mini-baguette type thing, with a convenient hole for a sausage, chocolate etc. Easier to wash up too. I carry the bread mix in a zip-lock bag, otherwise flour gets everywhere.

For what people call "bannock" you can use any American biscuit recipe.
Not UK "biscuits" .. those are different.

Here is one recipe:

2 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar (optional but browns the bread nicely)
3 ½ teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt

Mix all this up together in a bowl and then add

1/3 cup Crisco (5 tablespoons), cut into pieces (you can use any solid shortening or lard)

Now with your fingers, smash and mix the shortening in. Men, the motion you're making to do this is like when you make the "cash" sign by rubbing your thumb together with your first two fingers.. You sort of "rub" the shortening into the flour. You keep doing this with all the little shortening pieces until the whole thing is the consistency of fine sand or cornmeal.

You now have Bannock.
Store it in a plastic bag, or tupperware or glass jar.
Keep it cool but not refrigerated.

To make the bread while camping, you add about 1 cup of milk or water (or any liquid), stir it up, then form cakes to cook on the grill, a rock, or in the ash. The cakes can be any size but what works best is something a little smaller around than the palm of your hand, and about the same thickness.

You will learn to pour in the liquid slowly, and stop just when things hold together. Then knead it a bit. When you first start making it, it'll be sticky. You need to learn to STOP the liquid just before it gets to that sticky stage, but even though sticky, it'll still make good bread or cakes... just cover your hands with some of the other bannock or flour so the dough doesn't stick to your hands.

To make a BETTER tasting bannock, and if you do not anticipate carrying milk in the field, you can add about 1/4 cup dry milk flakes to the DRY stuff before you mix in the shortening. IF you do NOT add milk flakes, the bannock will last forever really... if you DO add milk flakes, it'll be fine over a weekend trip, but could spoil in hot weather after a few days. You just need to keep it cool.

Try making this ahead at home.
You can bake it on a stone like you make Welshcakes on - don't all UK folk have these? ::laughing:: or on a cast iron skillet.
You can also add it to the ashes to make ashcakes. Just watch it carefully, turn it when it puffs up good, then brush it off and eat it.
You'll be surprised how great this method works once you learn WHICH ashes to use so not to burn the cakes.

With this same bannock you can do many types of breads and cakes.
You can add eggs and milk or water to it, make a thinner batter, and POUR it on a griddle for pancakes.

You can make it like I said, then drop by spoonfuls into stew for dumplings.
Drop into boiling stew, cover with a lid, turn down the heat and cook for about 12 minutes.

You can add cornmeal to make cornpones.
You can add sugar to make donuts.

Play with it on your next trip!
It's a great thing to know how to make!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
This is my take on a 'dampa' recipe...

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup Beer
3 tablespoons butter​

Method:

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt on a board (or bowl), slowly breaking the butter into the mix, then gradually add the beer, kneading the mix as you do. Shape into a loaf and then gently push into the bottom of a well buttered pan.​

DSC_0060%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Bake for 35 - 40 mins, don’t open pot lid or oven door until at least 30 to 35 mins have elapsed.

DSC_0062%2520%25281%2529.JPG

Enjoy :D

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I did this in a billy tray (for a bread tin) covered in a pot in a fire - a wild cherry bannock

2918987777_2d4e8b4bd1_o.jpg

Its easy enough - just don't get it too hot and take your time

Red

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Home made oatcakes, you'll need an oven, however it may work well in large enough mess tin or cooking pot in the ashes of the morning fire :D

Ingredients:

170g of oats
170g of plain flour
85g of milk
Tablespoon of soft brown sugar
85 g butter
Level teaspoon of salt
Level teaspoon of baking powder​

Method:

Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, then gradually add the oatmeal and mix.

Add the butter rub into the mixture with your fingers.

Add the sugar and mix well. Pour in the milk and mix until you have a stiff but workable dough (you may very gradually add more milk if the mix is too dry).

press oatcake sized pieces onto a baking tray and then ***** them with a titanium spork. ;)

Bake at a high heat for 15/20 minutes

Store in an airtight container.​

home_made_oatcakes.jpg

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Home made oatcakes, you'll need an oven, however it may work well in large enough mess tin or cooking pot in the ashes of the morning fire.

:D

home_made_oatcakes.jpg

Ingredients:

170g of oats
170g of plain flour
85g of milk
Tablespoon of soft brown sugar
85 g butter
Level teaspoon of salt
Level teaspoon of baking powder

Method:

Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, then gradually add the oatmeal and mix.

Add the butter rub into the mixture with your fingers.

Add the sugar and mix well. Pour in the milk and mix until you have a stiff but workable dough.

press oatcake sized pieces onto a baking tray and then ***** them with a titanium spork. ;)

Bake at a high heat for 15/20 minutes

Store in an airtight container.

They work a treate on a bakestone or even a heated flat rock or slate. It the way they were traditionaly done.

H

He' s left the building

In a pot in an oven :)

A crusader mug with lid in the ashes of a fire will also do the job.

I've never tried making bannock yet, I'll give it a go in a stainless steel Crusader mess tin when I can. It has a well fitting lid, seems like a good shape/size for it and the steel is thick enough to cope with being stuck in the fire ashes.

Any 1 know how to make bread on the go plus possible storage solutions for what your carrying?

I'm thinking I'll pre-mix the ingredients and store them (in a bag) inside the mess-tin for protection.

I've also got some Nalgene containers (screw-cap) of various sizes for oil, salt, etc, so I'm sure they will be needed at some point.

Informative thread, cheers! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE